ad: HamHats-1

Unofficial POTA meetup in Chicagoland...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K9KMV, Nov 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K9KMV

K9KMV Ham Member QRZ Page

... and helping a new ham get the POTA addiction...

N9WRP, N9SSU, K4NXS and 2 others like this.
  2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Well done. Short, sweet, and to the point. No fluff. No long, boring intro. No P-Utube Bunch funny face mugging for the camera.

W7USD likes this.
  3. N9JCQ

N9JCQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Gosh, I would have stopped by to visit if I had known! I love right near by. Joe

K9KMV likes this.
  4. W9QK

W9QK Ham Member QRZ Page

Once you go POtA you won’t see the world the same way!

K9KMV likes this.
  5. W9QK

W9QK Ham Member QRZ Page

Pretty cool the more experienced hams are mentoring new hams. When I first got my ticket, I couldn’t find anyone to help me with the many questions. And when I asked a few questions here some more experienced hams just tried to bully me and talk down to me since I have extra ticket they were saying how can I have an extra Lic and not knowing too much about antennas and patterns. Having a license doesn’t mean u know all the answers. Experience will teach u more than a test. I guess they felt jealous because I have the extra ticket being a new ham and they only had the general. Oh shame shame!

KC9QPK, N9SSU, 2E0TWD and 2 others like this.
  6. K1CWB

K1CWB Ham Member QRZ Page

Good video, and good on all you guys for getting a new ham involved and on the air. It's excellent that he got some DX while activating too. He won't forget that outing anytime soon.

K9KMV and KC7ZXY like this.
  7. K9KMV

K9KMV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey congrats on getting your Extra! It takes a lot of effort. I still need to do it myself.

Sorry to hear that you didn't have a good experience trying to get help. Hopefully that has changed you are having fun.

W9QK likes this.
  8. W9QK

W9QK Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for ur kind words. And yes I’m having lots of fun specially dong POTA. Most of my QSO in my log book are from POTA operations! Love POTA!

K9KMV likes this.
  9. AJ2I

AJ2I XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I really like this video format and great to see hams helping hams get on the air and give them a chance @ something new AND a video where someone isn't trying to sell something!

10. N9SSU

N9SSU Ham Member QRZ Page

I am sorry you went through that, I am happy you did not give up. I understand it well. When I received my ticket in the early 90s, I was chased off all repeaters, simplex, everything, because I had a "code-less" ticket. The internet was in its infancy (moving from BBS to mainly AOL chat rooms and forums (lol)) so finding info on your own was not that easy unless you were parked in front of a monitor at home, I experimented on my own as much as I could. The few people that were nice to me, a police officer in the village I lived in and Vince Sawyer KA9ZDM, the manager at the old Eriksons Communications (AES "unofficial" ham store in Chicago up until 1996). My girlfriend at the time, her Dad was into GMRS and he was nice enough to introduce me to Vince. Last I heard, Vince was managing a Walgreens and I have not heard him on the bands for many many years. In disgust, I threw my HT in the dresser drawer for close to 10 years, until I had to renew my license. A little bit older, wiser and hardened, along with many of the poison pills that helped chase me away now gone themselves, I re-emerged.

I wanted to make sure no one goes through what I did. I mentor my college students that want to enter ham radio. One of my recent graduates very often does POTA, but he does it solo. I wish he would find some people to do it as a group setting. Seeing the awesome video OP shared, made my day, as he and the rest of his friends in the video, are true hams.

Hope everyone has a great December.

73 - Billy