Uninstalling FLDIGI on Linux Ubuntu 18

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by VK6ZM, Feb 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VK6ZM

VK6ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have recently tried to install the latest version of FLDIGI, however it crashes (hangs). I have tried to uninstall the software and re-install but to no avail. One post I saw on a forum with the same problem with an earlier version of FLDIGI found that a clean reinstall if Lunix was required... this seems OTT

2. VK6ZM

VK6ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

perhaps solved seems the version in /usr/local/bin was corruted and used a apt-get install again and it seems to work

3. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

yep... that's what I was going to recommend: sudo apt-get remove fldigi, then reinstall. The Ubuntu Software Manager is not so good about removing programs. It does not appear to remove the files... it only removes the triggers.

THAT is why I use the command line for just about everything. Even then Ubuntu is a bit of a pain since it doesn't allow you to be the ROOT user. You can only SUDO, and even then there are things you can't do. (Besides Root was my favorite character in Person of Interest.) I switched over to Sci-Linux from FermiLab. It's as unforgiving as a computer can get.... but it is SO much more than Ubuntu. Ubuntu is "paint by numbers". Sci Linux is a blank canvas.... you can paint whatever you want on it.

4. DL7GEM

DL7GEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Do a sudo -i without any other parameters - viola: you are root in a login shell.

5. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't forget to delete the hidden files in your home directory too or the same problem comes back

6. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

actually... I did not know that! That's a handy command to know. thanks :)

7. KK4GGL

KK4GGL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Before you re-install, rename .fldgi to something like fldigi.bak. Once you get fldigi to start properly, you can rename the .bak file back to .fldgi and the current .fldigi to something else. If fldigi fails to start, you know the settings folder is the problem.