Uniden Tempo 2020

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by AF7XT, Jan 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

So once again we're back to the infamous Tempo 2020. When we last visited this hybrid backwater I was adding a remote VFO . Many thanks to @N4PL Wald , @W7CPA Randy , bajapac , and Fantom the wonder dog...
    The molex plugs are common and available locally. Possibly because of not having to deal with the heat of the radio the external VFO has far less drift than the internal VFO.
    Now onto other irrational and unexplained behavior.

Ever seen a switched RCA jack? Any of us with 2020's have. That wasn't it. The headphone jack wasn't it. The phone patch wasn't it. I quit looking and found receive audio at the card edge connector and called it a day.
    Now on to the unscheduled programming.
    RF derived ALC should not clamp a pair of 6146's down to 20 watts output. For testing purposes D362 on the PC-078 IF board has been lifted interrupting the ALC signal from Q1001 on the PA board. Full output results.
    With an annoying hum. I'm chasing the audio down looking for an audio or ground loop. Temporarily using my MC-50 for a High impedance mic . Most of the hum goes away but it is still visible (and audible) on a nearby web sdr.

Several questions arise from the service manual and schematic. R388 on the PC-078 IF board appears to adjust the meter ALC, does R387 adjust the actual ALC ?

I wonder if increasing the feedback resistor, increasing the gain of the audio chip has anything to do with the hum.
    PC-080 card, replace R551 with a 15k resistor instead of the 6.8K . Great gain improvement but ...

So If any of this makes any sense I'd appreciate the input.

N2EY likes this.
  2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

NL7W likes this.
  3. AF7XT

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    K3XR likes this.
  4. AF7XT

This is what I'm seeing on a near field (15 mi.) web sdr .

Attached Files:

5. AF7XT

Bueller?

NL7W likes this.