Understanding the Reverse Beacon Network and db

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KE0EYJ, Sep 27, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm new to the reverse beacon network and have been reading about db, here:

http://kf6hi.net/radio/SNR.html

What I'm still trying to wrap my head around is my signal report out of JA on 40m. I'm in Korea as HL1ZIX, so I'm around 587 miles away. My antenna is a full wave 40m loop at 18m above ground.

I'm transmitting CQ in CW at 0 watts (which is 700mw on the Icom 7300). I'm still getting a report of 15db out of JO1YYP, 587 miles away My current noise floor is s8, with no attenuation -- his probably less.

So that means I'm about 2.5 S-units above the noise floor at that CW skimmer at 700mw?

Thanks.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure, why not?

I've related this before, but last year very late at night on 20 CW I worked Bulgaria with about 3 mW (to a beam, and he had a beam also, but propagation did almost all the work). He had more attenuators than I had and was able to QRP to about 250 microwatts, and I still copied him.

Back about 15 years ago, I worked K2RTH/4 in Florida on 6m and propagation was so good he was literally pinning my S-meter, so Bruce and I both QRP'd...and kept doing that until we lost each other. But before we lost each other, we were both down to less than 10 milliwatts...and that's at 50 MHz, over a distance of 2500 miles.

On 40m, at night when the band's good I've worked the U.S. east coast on CW lots of times with <1W. 3000 miles per Watt is no kind of record at all, not even close. FT8 is probably better, but I didn't have it.

3. KE0EYJ

What are you trying to do here... make me more excited about CW than I already am. ;)

Hey, if I just want to check propagation with the network, and not attract people answering a CW, is it possible to trip the skimmers using some kind of "ant test" in my send?

4. NG9F

NG9F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the same question, and it seems like I read it before on this forum and now I can't find it. I want to make a macro on my 7610 for this test!!!!

CQ CQ CQ test NG9F NG9F NG9F K

Is it something like that?

5. KE0EYJ

I think that means CQ Contest, right?

M6GYU likes this.
  6. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Derek,... On the reverse beacon network, they only report "CQ's" heard. (you don't have to respond to anyone.) - You might have better luck self-spotting yourself on dxsummit.fi if you are looking for a QSO. - ;)

7. KA3CTQ

KA3CTQ Ham Member QRZ Page

"I have the same question, and it seems like I read it before on this forum and now I can't find it. I want to make a macro on my 7610 for this test!!!!

CQ CQ CQ test NG9F NG9F NG9F K

Is it something like that?"

This is correct.
    You usually copy something like CQ TEST CQ TEST DE KA3CTQ, but I have heard it the same as above in the past.

8. NG9F

NG9F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OK, so there is no "K" because I'm not inviting anyone to respond, true?

CQ TEST CQ TEST DE NG9F NG9F NG9F

That might get me spotted if I make a macro on my 7610 so the code is easily readable by the skimmers?

9. KE0EYJ

Another question about the beacon network....

I'm getting spots that are off by .1, on some of the spotters lately. This seems to happen on 20m, but not 40m. Is there some setting in my Icom 7300 that I have messed-up, or is it just the spotters not being exact?

Samples:

While I was actually TX on 14030.0, I was spotted as this: DX de UD4FD-#: 14021.9 HL1ZIX CW 9 dB 14 WPM CQ 1348Z

While I was actually TX on 14040, I was spotted as this: DX de BG8NUD-#: 14039.1 HL1ZIX CW 16 dB 11 WPM CQ 0554Z
    Same thing with that station while i was TX on 14054, I was spotted as: DX de BG8NUD-#: 14054.1 HL1ZIX CW 28 dB 16 WPM CQ 0530Z

So on some spotters on 20m, I am either up or down .1? But not on 40m?

And lastly... this is cool... I thought I'd send an amped burst on CW, just to see how far the beacon network would pick me up (I used the recorded CQ). I was aimed shortpath to Europe from South Korea (HL1ZIX is where I am, now) and went over the pole longpath and was spotted by: DX de 3B8CW-#: 14022.5 HL1ZIX CW 17 dB 25 WPM CQ 1405Z

And condx are awful. I was spotted correctly on frequency by 3B8CW, by the way.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It may be the way the 7300 works, if it "changes sidebands" when changing from 160/80/40m (where LSB is the norm) to 20m and above (where USB is the norm). Possibly the carrier frequency changes slightly, although IMO it really shouldn't with DSP rigs, where "it's just software.":)

This was fairly common in older analog rigs, where it was all hardware based.

I wouldn't bother changing anything, though.

RBN is a real eye-opener, that it will help you see the band is actually open to some path where you hear absolutely no activity. I think part of the reason is "time of day." If the band is open to 3B8 when it's 3 AM there, I wouldn't expect to work anyone unless there was a contest going on where ops might actually stay up all night. I've caught openings to EU from here in California when it's 2-3-4 AM in western EU and although the conditions were great, there's almost nobody to work 'cause they're all sleeping.

M6GYU likes this.