Understanding FT8 ... ?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0KDT, Sep 15, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I ran FT8 for a few weeks. I have discovered a lot of other things to do to idle the time away ;)

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

To each his own - that's part of what makes amateur radio such a diverse thing!

Dave
    W7UUU

W4IOA likes this.
  3. W4IOA

Pumping RF into the air is good....unless you're a well pump or grow lights :)

4. W5IEI

W5IEI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I went through all the things to get it hooked up,and working,
    Made about 10 contacts.
    That's enough for me,I'm done with it.
    I much prefer to watch re-runs of M.A.S.H. with my wife.

W4IOA likes this.
  5. K4AGO

K4AGO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Using 100 watts on FT8 is very boring. The WSJTX modes are weak signal modes. Try cutting your power back to 1 watt and then you might just see the point of the mode.

Using 100 watts on FT8 is like hunting squirrels with a 50BMG. Using 1500 watts on FT8 is like hunting squirrels with a Howitzer. There is no sport whatsoever in using obscene power with the WSJTX modes.

You might want to give CW a try. It is not two computers conversing. CW takes knowledge and skill. Anyone who says CW is ancient is correct. It is like bow hunting. It hones your skill. It is worth learning and using CW.

When the world as we know it comes to an end and the zombies' attack, QRP along with CW may be the only mode of communication left.

Also, you might want to think about EME and meteor scatter. Those modes also take a lot of skill.

6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They are weak signal NOT low power modes. Use the power you need to make the contact be that 1.5 watts or 1500.

Hey, I'm not a fan of SSTV, but I don't let it keep me up nights worrying about it. :D

7. WT4W

WT4W Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm certain THIS is going to be the definitive, be-all end-all FT8 thread and we'll never need to have another discussion about who loves it or who hates it after today. :D

WZ7U likes this.
  8. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Not really. However, FT8 does compensate for a weak signal. Some choose to use skill instead.

9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It was never intended to be a QRP mode. People doing Moonbounce, for example, would be expected to use more than a what or two. I expect someone to use the power required to make the desired contact, just like with any other mode. If your signal is a clean one, sure, QRO when needed. ;)

10. W4IOA

Plus if you're ever tossed in a Turkish prison you'll be able to tap out code with the other prisoners.