Undersea Expedition Planned to Retrieve Titanic's Radio Gear

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K1LKP, Feb 7, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

TOM, YOU OLE CW RASCAL.......

The request to enter the rapidly disintegrating wreck was filed in
    US District Court in Eastern Virginia by RMS Titanic, Inc. of Atlanta, Georgia,
    which said that it hopes to restore the Titanic radio transmitter to operating condition,
    if it is allowed to go forward.

THIS WHOLE ACTIVITY IS PROBABLY THE BEGINNINGS OF A
    BOOK OR A MOVIE.

2. N0OCR

N0OCR Ham Member QRZ Page

What next, The Arizona?! Is nothing sacred? I guess there will always be grave robbers.

Like someone said, why not just build a replica? I think this is just an excuse to get down there and salvage other objects, maybe break into the purser's office and grab some jewels or other valuables. This whole, "salvage the radio" story smells to me.

VK6APZ, WN1MB and N2EY like this.
  3. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Some state will find a way to tax the project.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

WN1MB likes this.
  4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Indeed.

It is my understanding that anyone who served on the Arizona and survived Pearl Harbor can have their ashes placed on the wreck by a Navy diver.

INDEED!

And consider....much of the Marconi wireless set used on Titanic was made of wood. After 108 years, how much of anything made of wood is left? Same for cloth covered wiring and such.

If they did manage to bring up the entire radio room, restoring the set would probably involve replacing most of it. They'd be better off getting the movie set pieces (if they still exist) and making them work.

ooooohhh....interesting!

How far is it from the purser's office to the radio shack? I suspect they are adjacent....

73 de Jim, N2EY

5. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope they have to be dead first----

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo