ad: elecraft

underground dog fence

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KE0YRP, Dec 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE0YRP

KE0YRP Ham Member QRZ Page

thank you guys for the help

2. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for quite a good story---and what great cats you had there! Gives new meaning to the term "rescue cat.":D

My "near miss" occured in 1971, decades before I had this fellow who might have accomplished the same results single handed, er...pawedly. He was a very accomplished attack cat when the occasion warranted such a Special Forces Feline:
    kitties on the loose 074.JPG
    Garibaldi "Fatpaw" Rascadello, SC (Silent Claw, 2017, RIP)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    KA0HCP and W7UUU like this.
  3. NH7RO

Reminds me of when I tried to track down some very weird swooshing sounds years ago. They were mostly occurring on 10 meters from time to time and would rise and fall in frequency slowly. (That nearly drove me crazier than I already was, too). Turned out to be the Astron switcher I was powering my station with---I immediately replaced it with a big, hefty Alinco linear PS and never looked back since...

4. WA3CUJ

WA3CUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Our undergound fence is by Pet Stop. Whenever I need to locate the wires because of digging for something, I use an old analog AM portable radio. I have to get close to the ground (within 12 inches) to hear the noise from the fence on the radio. The bottom line being, yes your fence will give off some RFI, but nothing that you should need to worry about.

KE0YRP likes this.
  5. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Linears will sometimes oscillate when driving a load they don't like. I've even had homebrew power supplies do it. It's because feedback is used to control the output. An old timey LC filtered supply, with no active regulator, would probably not do this.

6. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I would be much more worried about the ham transmitter being picked up by the dog coller and shocking the pooch.

Rege

7. KE0YRP

KE0YRP Ham Member QRZ Page

well now you have me scared, lol. I have a DogWatch caller. I *think* they actually use a digital signal now that I think about it. I don't think a receiver tuned to 8KHz would pick up an amateur signal, but who knows. i guess i can put it on my hand and see what happens. I've set it off on my hand before and it just tickles.

8. NH7RO

I am curious about your listening to AF frequencies on an RF detector; how, may I ask, are you breaking the laws of physics? (perhaps there exists a loophole in the laws we don't know about?)

[1Hz>15Hz~] subsonic audio frequencies 16Hz>20KHz~audio frequencies generally considered the range of human hearing (Disclaimer: a few golden-eared audiophiles may claim to hear slightly higher, of course :p) 20KHz~>roughly 50 or 60KHz (maybe higher) is ultrasonic audio and where the RF frequencies begin~~>>>>and all the way further up beyond the GHz range is where most RF lives, breathes, propagates and "bounces around" our universe last I heard...

I am sure to be corrected if I am wrong here^ and would welcome such a correction in any case.o_O

9. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

NH7RO no disrespect but why do you keep repeating this? True humans can hear 20 to 20 Khz, but it can be made to radiate like any radio. Have you ever looked up ELF (3 Hz to 30 Khz) and ULF is less than 3 Hz. The USA, China, and Russia all operate ELF radios to communicate with their submarine fleets globally in any depth of water. It is the heart of our nuclear submarine fleet.The Submarine ELF radio systems literally uses earth as an antenna.

The electric dog fences use the single wire just below the surface as an TX antenna, and Earth is provided by the AC plug ground or you can drive a ground rod. The signal it generates is EMF and can only be detected withing a few feet. Exact same principles are used for underground cable and pipe location detector.

10. NH7RO

OK, I stand corrected---I always thought ELF was higher than that---thanks!