ad: UR5CDX-1

Uncertainty of Power Measurement of Minicircuits PWR-4GHS

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by OA4AJP, Jul 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. OA4AJP

OA4AJP Ham Member QRZ Page

Dear All,

I have bought a minicircuits power sensor model PWR-4GHS.
    I have a doubt about the "Uncertainty of Power Measurement" at 25*C from -30 to +5 dBm and from 0.009 to 1000 Mhz.

There is a Typical and Max Column in the datasheet table, the Typical value for the parameter I mentioned is +/- 0.05 dB and the Max is +/- 0.35 dB.

I thought that I would get the Typical Uncertainty of +/- 0.05 dB always, but when I request information to minicircuits support, they told me that I could have an Uncertainty of +/- 0.35dB (The max Value of the uncertainty).

Is there a way to get the Typical uncertainty instead of the Max Uncertainty of the Power meter. I think that I will alway get the typical uncertainty if I always operate the power meter at 25 * C.

I'm confused, Can you help me to get the max accuracy and the min uncertainty with this power meter please?

Product Page: https://www.minicircuits.com/WebStore/dashboard.html?model=PWR-4GHS
    DataSheet: https://www.minicircuits.com/pdfs/PWR-4GHS.pdf

PWR4GHS_MaxError.jpg

Regards
    Alfredo Mendiola Loyola

2. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Those are just specifications. What Minicircuits is saying is, "Most examples of this product will have an uncertainty 0.05 dB, but we only guarantee that any particular sensor will be good to 0.35 dB."

In other words, they test them and throw away anything worse than 0.35 dB, but after they finish doing that, most of the sensors will actually be better than that... Something close to 0.05 dB, but they can't guarantee it because they don't test them to that limit.

PY2RAF and K7JEM like this.
  3. OA4AJP

I got it !!!!!

Thanks for your help.

Alfredo
    OA4AJP

4. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Low cost, $795?

5. OA4AJP

PY2RAF likes this.
  6. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I think thats wishfull thinking.

What the specification means is the error is at least .05 and as much as .35

And if you measure at any temperature other than 25c the error will be greater. (They don't even guarantee a maximum!)

Rege