ad: wmr-1

Unboxing the MFJ-998 - 1500 Watts automatic antenna tuner

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, May 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for watching, it seems that unboxing does not please everyone, I just hope this is entertaining ;-) 73 Pascal VA2PV

2. VA2PV

I went for the budget because the Palstar is almost 3 times more expensive. Will see over time, for now so far so good. 73 Pascal VA2PV

3. VA2PV

I must agree to a certain point, maybe I should title it differently as I try to make the unboxing interesting and entertaining. I also comment about my choices, because everybody have a limited radio money (at least most of us, hihi) so we try to make the most out of it. I do this with every equipment related to ham radio that I buy, it's always followed by a complete review. See my other videos. 73 Pascal VA2PV

4. VA2PV

I will try to remember that one if it ever happens, this would be the first, hihi. 73 Pascal VA2PV

W7UUU likes this.
  5. VA2PV

I'm curious, do you control it with the radio cable and the amp bypass (relay)? It's seem the operator experience will depend on the setup. 73 Pascal VA2PV

6. VA2PV

Your right that it's not an announcement, but it can be consider as news because it's a new video online, thanks to QRZ as they promote YouTubers that are willing to produce video about the hobby. I just hope people would find it entertaining. 73 Pascal VA2PV

7. VA2PV

It as two antenna port but you need to switch manually. It would have been great if we could switch by itself with the tuner memory. 73 Pascal VA2PV

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

A internal inspection video would be way cool. Maybe a 3 part series.

1.) New, before smoke. 2) After abuse and smoke. 3) After repair. :)

VA2PV likes this.
  9. VA2PV

Thanks for your comment, a lot of people complaining but personally I never had an issue, even with used equipment. See my MFJ-1026 video, bought it used and it's amazing, but you need to set up your RX antenna properly in order to work as describe. It's through that some products could be physically enhanced (looks and feel) but it's low cost and it do the job. 73 Pascal VA2PV

KY5U likes this.
  10. SV8RMA

SV8RMA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have this tuner and it is a nightmare.Never worked as advertised,bad customer support from MFJ.All the story at eham.net.To the reviews section "AutotunerMFJ998" ans "MFJ Warranty service".
    Also never worked with the MFJcable with my TS990.It was the last product I will ever buy from the MJF group.

11. K0OKS

K0OKS Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear the occasional horror story, but mine works perfectly with an AL-80B. My 993B works perfectly as well. If they break I'll get a

MFJ sells a lot of volume. So there are more people to complain, even if the failure rate is the same as other smaller companies.

12. AA5AX

AA5AX Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a Mfj Tuner several of them and MfJ over rates there tuners be careful if your running full legal MfJ has never made a tuner to handle some of the Amps that are out there, I bought a palstar and the problem was solved. You get what you pay for why would buy a cheap tuner to use with a High dollar Amp your proud of.

KM2K likes this.
  13. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

They match the tuner ratings for their amplifiers.

You must use a MFJ matched pair.

WF9Q likes this.
  14. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Mike Tyson UNBOXED:

12tyson650.jpg

Lennox Lewis UNBOXED:

article-1327481-003C57E300000258-732_468x318.jpg

15. VA2PV

Just posted the review and setup video online.

I know, the bands were pretty bad the day I shoot this video, or I forgot to remove my RX antenna from ground ;-)

Pascal VA2PV