ad: CQMM-1

Unboxing the MFJ-998 - 1500 Watts automatic antenna tuner

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, May 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AC6CV

AC6CV Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine failed with my linear @ 1200 watts. Keeping the power down to about 500 watts it is an acceptable tuner.

2. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately it's output is for only one antenna. Too bad it cannot feed two antennas so you could run just 1 coax out into the field!

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Taking a MFJ tuner out of the box, And it works is Breaking News. :rolleyes:

SV8RMA, KT5OT and M1WML like this.
  4. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

yes your right.... More Friggin Junk....

SV8RMA and KT5OT like this.
  5. WB8NXR

WB8NXR Ham Member QRZ Page

The other thing I always do is check the manufacturer's site for any firmware updates. I often wonder if the folks who buy things used do that. http://www.mfjenterprises.com/support.php?productid=MFJ-998 - released Feb. 23, 2012, v1201. There apparently were several earlier versions.

6. KT5OT

KT5OT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

yea i bet he got the only good one made all year just for the dayton hamfest,i wonder how many stores they had to clean out just to find one that worked!

7. KT5OT

people with too much time to kill!

8. KT5OT

what a joke!

9. AA4EZ

AA4EZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had a MFJ-998 tuner for several years and it works as advertised. These people that keep complaining about MFJ are really strange people. They say every product they buy from MFJ is a piece of crap, but they apparently keep buy more from MFJ. I have many MFJ products and they everyone work properly and have all solder joints done properly and they look good and are well built. I am sure you will enjoy your MJF-1500 tuner and that it will give you years of great service, just as mine has for me. One does need to read the manual first. Maybe that is the problem with those that are constantly having problems with MFJ. Maybe they can't read and it is not the MFJ product causing the problem, but the operator. My Icom 7600 and the MFJ 998 are happy with each other and the tuner has given me a 1 to 1 SWR on every antenna I have thrown at it. 73, Ray AA4EZ

KM2K, N4AWP and K0OKS like this.
  10. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Technically, aren't these unboxing videos really DEboxing videos?

11. KC2RSJ

KC2RSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad you're happy, Pascal! And, KUDOS to you for taking the time to share your experience with all on here!

de kc2rsj

VA2PV likes this.
  12. MW0LGE

MW0LGE Ham Member QRZ Page

a good watch Pascal, and your enthusiasm is catching ! Will be watching more of your vids. 73 :)

13. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Bill, I use the control cable with my TS-990, so it is control by the radio, with the amp bypass it should be ok. At least it is for now and I acheived very low SWR without having to play the the load and cap. This tuner as a big manual and it is complexe, maybe there were some fix via the firmware upgrade, sorry for you amp :-( 73 Pascal VA2PV

14. VA2PV

Thanks for letting me know, this is really appreciated. French is my native language and sometimes I apply rules that are not the same in English. Still learning, hihi. Most people will laugh without letting the other know, so this is good feedback. I correct it on YouTube. 73 Pascal VA2PV

15. VA2PV

Hi, well the remote operations was the objective. I've used my old MFJ-962D for years without any issue and this unit is working well so far with the TS-990 controls. 73 Pascal VA2PV.