Unable to pickup Ham Broadcasts

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KB1TJY, Sep 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KB1TJY

KB1TJY Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the additional information, very much appreciated!

2. KB1TJY

I'll take the bait...what on earth is "qrpelioma"? The Web returned no results. Thanks!

3. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

Well, QRP is a type of operating which involves very low powered transmitters, and usually quite simple receivers. A true QRP radio can run for an entire week on a set of D cells, for instance. Enthusiasts of this mode become very determined supporters of it!

I looked up "elioma" by itself, and find that it is a medical term which often is used to indicate a damaging condition, such as a cancer. I would guess that the term "qrpelioma" is meant to indicate that those who work QRP radios become fanatic to the point of harming themselves ! Or something like that ! You get the idea.

4. KB1TJY

LOL! Got it, thanks!

5. KF5CSW

KF5CSW Ham Member QRZ Page

So if I wanted to buy one of those decent portable "world band" radios (Eton, Grundig, or Sony) in the $150 range, is there any coverage I should be looking for specifically for amateur ops, or are they all pretty much the same?

6. K6SSA

K6SSA Ham Member QRZ Page

AG3Y got it; it was just an attempt at humor :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.