Unable to pickup Ham Broadcasts

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KB1TJY, Sep 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KC5AKB

KC5AKB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello look at n5wow he has a lot of good Ham links

Hey ck out www.n5wow.com its always changing but he has some good info and links . Hang in there and and you will be a ham before you know it.
    Later,
    Ric
    if I can help just let me know 817 - 298 - 7937

3. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Lyman:

My portable SW radio with the built-in whip are very nearly deaf to Amateur transmissions so if you can get a longer and or higher antenna, you may have better luck.

14.300 MHz on 20 meters is the Maritime service net and seems to be on the air almost all daytime hours in the USA, you can try that for an easy reference. Their net control stations usually run a fair bit of power.

You can also try 3.908 MHz [80 meters] late nights on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday - on the east coast, the Hi-Fiver's are on 0100-0300 GMT [east coast based] 9-11 PM Eastern time and WARFA from 0300-0500 GMT [west coast based] 8-10 PM Pacific time - their net controls run near legal limit so they are pretty easy to hear.

4. KB1TJY

KB1TJY Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, will check that out now!

5. KB1TJY

Thanks. Given that I am still studying for my license (and therefore can only receive) I am using an Eavesdropper/C (about 20' off the ground) which has been stellar for SW listening. I am going to try out the various frequencies as provided by yourself, Ric, and others. All of that is greatly appreciated, btw!

6. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

Just remember that we are at the bottom of the sunspot cycle right now, so signals above around 14 Mhz are going to be very weak and rare!

If you can't hear foreign broadcast on the upper bands, you are most likely NOT going to hear an ham activity.

Most amateur activity is heard on 20 meters and below during the daytime, and 40 meters and below at night. Even 40 might seem dead in comparison to 80 after the sun goes down.

Hope this helps ! 73, and good luck, Jim

7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham transmissions on "FM" are only allowed above 29.5 MHz.
    The strongest signals in the hours after sunset will be LSB or CW mode on 3.5-4.0 MHz, 75/80 Meter band..

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  8. KB1TJY

Thanks for that information; I was not aware of FM being available only above 29.5 MHz.

Best,

Lyman

9. KB1TJY

Jim, it certainly does help. I am able to pickup foreign broadcasts on the upper band though am curious to see what Winter will bring....

10. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Get yourself the latest copy of the ARRL "Handbook for radio communications".
    It's a hefty volume containing most of what you need to know about Ham radio...and more.
    You could spend a year going through it .
    Most of the questions asked on these forums could be answered by looking it up in this book !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.