Unable to pickup Ham Broadcasts

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KB1TJY, Sep 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KB1TJY

KB1TJY Ham Member QRZ Page

Greetings!

I am new to the World of SW and am currently studying for my Technicians Class license.

While I have no problems pulling in a variety of broadcasts from Voice of Russia, China, et al, I cannot for the life of me pull in any Ham broadcasts, and this despite having tried LSB, USB, CW, FM, etc.

What frequencies and Bands should I be using?

Many thanks!

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Greetings:

For the most part, SW broadcast stations are THOUSANDS of times more powerful than any amateur stations. Your best bet is to listen between 14.0 and 14.35 MHz, during the day, and between 7.0 and 7.2 MHZ in the evenings, if you want to hear at least SOME hams.

eric

3. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hams use USB on 20 meters - that's the 14 Mhz. band, and LSB on 40 - that's 7 Mhz.. Try both bands in the daytime and 40 at night. You might also hear hams on the 75 meter band at night - 3.6-4.0 Mhz.. Don't let what you hear on a couple frequencies on 20 and 75 scare you away!

4. KB1TJY

Thanks Eric. Using USB between 14.0 - 14.35 and LSB between 7.0 - 7.2? Or do I use FM?

Again, thanks.

5. KB1TJY

Thank you!

6. W0DV

W0DV Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham radio signals are relatively low power. You might need to get an antenna in the air. Your best bet is to listen to 20 meters during the day. SSB (upper side band) signals can be found between 14.150 through 14.350. You can try 40 meters (LSB) in the evening , 7.125 through 7.300 MHZ and 80 meters, (LSB) 3600 through 4000MHZ at night. For the entire bands segments, visit the ARRL web site.

Dave

7. K5KGB

K5KGB Ham Member QRZ Page

8. KB1TJY

9. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I should add that I do a whole lot of SW broadcast listening as well. The quality of many of the stations is amazingly good compared to what it was just a couple of decades ago. Maybe it's just less interference, but I think the technology had gotten better too.

Listen to Arne Coros on Radio Havana some time. He's a character...and you can usually pick up Radio Havana anywhere on the planet (and probably anywhere in the solar system!). Arne has lots of good advice for hams and SWLs.

Eric

10. KB1TJY

Thanks again, Eric, and will do!

Lyman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.