ad: AlphaRF-1

Un-verified user having trouble with no apparent solution

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by W4XKE, Jul 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4XKE

W4XKE Ham Member QRZ Page

No verification possible here at this QTH. I run a LINUX box (no Bill Gates product compatibility) so there's not an authorization program option. The other method is to use a cell phone. (Not one of those around here either.)

Since having retired several years ago, the need for me to carry a telephone on my person has pretty much dried up so I rely upon the household land line for those instances where I need to call to order some Chinese Ho Chi Ming Kitten with King Feng Fu Sauce or to buy a widget from Jeff Bezos. I do still call my sister up in Minnesota every couple of weeks but there's no need to do that from a remote, mobile location.

At any rate, it's not worth hundreds of greenbacks to me to try to keep up with Microsoft's unsupported software / new software purchases or to "buy minutes" that have no other purpose than to maintain a 'Verified' ham account. Oh well.

When my mother died a few years ago, I got a motel room about 20 miles from her place - the closest to her rural location and thought I'd better call home to let the Mrs. know that I'd arrived okay. Knowing how the motels like to stiff you on long-distance calls from your room, I chose to grab a couple of rolls of quarters and head off the the nearest pay phone.

I stepped inside the booth and tried unsuccessfully to dial the number into the system. An operator came on the line and asked, "Could I help you? Are you trying to make a call?"

I told her yes started to give her the number but she interrupted me and said, "Sir? You can call that number direct, yourself. What's your credit card number?"

No way am I going to recite my credit card credentials to a stranger just to make a simple phone call so I told her, "I'm not using a credit card. I have the cash right here, if you'll just tell me how much to deposit."

"Well, Sir, you can use a prepaid phone card."

"I don't have a phone card. Just tell me how much to deposit for the call."

"Is there a 7-11 or a Village Pantry around there someplace where you could buy a phone card?"

"I don't WANT a phone card. I just want to make a phone call. I have the cash to pay for the call right here."

"I'm sorry. We don't have any way to collect cash from a pay phone. Is there anything else I can help you with today?"

I can't pay cash for a phone call in a pay-phone booth? Wow... That's progress! My mind went back to a James Cagney movie where he told his lady friend, "Gimme a dime! I need to make a phone call!" and another line, "Hey buddy? You got'ta dime to spare for a cuppa coffee?"

They'd have to update that line for a remake today at a Starbucks... "Hey buddy? You got'ta extra five bucks for me to get'a cuppa coffee? Or how about the kid wanting to take a girl out for a date on Saturday night... "Hey Dad? Can I have thirty-five bucks to take Betty Lou to the movies and get a couple'a burgers? Oh... and I'll need another thirty bucks or so for some gas."

Nope - it looks like I'll just remain to be an UN-Verified poster. You know... I used to worry that I'd die too young. But recently, you know what? I'm beginning to worry that I might LIVE to LONG. ;)

Johnny

KC6KNL and WR2E like this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They have phone booths there?

Around here I think you'd run out of gas (or energy) running around trying to find one.

Unverifiably yours,

The Telephone Lady

W3ESE and KS4W like this.