Ultralight Portable Antenna Quest

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KC8VWM, Jun 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Man, you are just chock full of brilliant ideas! Any relation to Benjamin Franklin or Thomas Edison?

2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

What a great idea. :) I can just use my Coleman air mattress pump. Variable voltage could be used adjust the length of the antenna. I mean the antenna would be noisy and would probably attract Canadian Geese for 40 miles around my operating location, but I think you're on to something.

AK5B likes this.
  3. KC8VWM

I am not sure... I will probably have to do a Google search on myself.

4. KC8VWM

I really like the portable antenna setup you have. Looks like everything fits inside a folding lawn chair bag or something. Let's see some more photos! :)

5. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

I made my "Fisherman's dipole" from .03 copperweld wire fed with 300 ohm twin-lead. The dipole is assembled with fishing tackle swivel clips allowing the antenna to be taken apart so that each piece can be rolled up separately. The center insulator was cut from a floor tile sample. My Z11 auto tuner with a 4:1 balun and this antenna covers 40 meters to 10 meters easily. The whole thing rolls up and stores in a plastic pouch.

John WD5IKX

FD-Center Insulator.JPG FD-End Insulator.JPG FD-Portable Antenna.JPG

KC8VWM and AK5B like this.
  6. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice trolling rig.

AC8UN and WD5IKX like this.
  7. KC8VWM

That looks really light to carry around inside a few plastic sandwich bags. Nice job. :)

8. KC8VWM

Portable antenna fits nicely inside a go box.

IMAG0574.jpg

Where do we want to go and operate from today?

resized go box.jpg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    K2CAJ and AK5B like this.
  9. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

"VWM Industries leads the way in ultralight antenna innovation and is a wellspring of brilliant ideas useful for portable amateur radio operations."

KC8VWM likes this.
  10. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wait till you see his line of personal computers:

AK5B and KC8VWM like this.