ad: HamInsurance-1

Ultralight Portable Antenna Quest

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KC8VWM, Jun 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't forget the ground plane:

[​IMG]

KC8VWM and AK5B like this.
  2. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow...I shared this experience today with my laundry reel dipole on the dam above Chatfield Reservoir. The antenna went up and was taken down quickly today. 20M was so hot I could not find a place to call CQ. So I worked those calling from one end of the band to the other. Had no problem being heard. A huge improvement over my ATAS-25. In fact a huge improvement over my home inverted dipole!

The photos show how treeless my operating point was:

IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0001.JPG

3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome!

I already knew this portable antenna design was going to pack some serious punch and blow away an ATAS-25 leaving it in the dust !

I am so glad you followed my construction plans and everything worked out great! I find even when I am using QRP power, this portable laundry reel antenna is a solid performer that's hard to beat.

I really like your portable tripod and pole arrangement in the photos. :) It must be quick and easy to setup everything and I bet it all packs up nicely too.

I hope more people construct this portable antenna like you did. :)

For those interested, the portable antenna construction plans are at this link:

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thr...tenna-of-inslulated-wire.241775/#post-1893118

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    K2CAJ and AK5B like this.
  4. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

News of this miniscule skywhip's big performance and popularity is already making waves around the world; I hear that MFJ is coming out with a knock-off that can be joined with a second one to form a horizontal/vertical loaded dipole. According to my anonymous sources it'll be called the Bitty Pole System and will be manufactured in China by the thousands. Suggested retail price will be in the $260-$295 range.

DXE and GigaParts are also competing with each other in a race to produce a similar but slightly heavier QRO version that uses beryllium-foil coated Max Gain Systems telescoping fiberglass rods and silver-plated coils. These 31' and 43' versions are said to begin field-testing by several upcoming DXpeditions; their designs reportedly also feature optional Titanium sand spikes, vertical array phasing boxes and ready-to-use phasing harnesses and add-on high-Q coils for 40/80/160 meters.

The tentative name for the DXE model is said to be the Tip-Top Tapped Trans-Oceanic DX Lure Portable Array System Model DXLP-5000 but as far as I know everything is still in the tentative planning stages thus far.

We can expect to see a suggested retail price point around $750 for the basic 31' model with a full array set up kit with two to four 43' antennas at around $2,495/$3,995 depending on size and options chosen.

A spokesman for SteppIR declined comment on the speculation that they are also working on remotely controlled monoband or duoband (20/40M) versions that would be called the IonosFeathIR-20 and the LittleBiggIR DXtreme-2040---but my spies are everywhere and let me assure you that this is based on very solid info!

Since there's a sudden abundance of these types of rumours spreading amongst the amateur community like sporadic E propagation on a summer day---I strongly urge Charles to get a patent on this fine little pocket-portable DX cattle-prod before his short window of time for this runs out. The ham antenna industry is one of the most cut-throat businesses around, particularly when an innovation occurs and DIY plans are freely handed out.

Look out, Charles---the competition never sleeps! They'll be after your Laundry Reel Dipole next...

KC8VWM likes this.
  5. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Now you have to try building the SteppIR version:

[​IMG]

AK5B likes this.
  6. WD0BCT

Some additional photos:

View from my operating position (zoomed in)

IMG_0007.JPG

Everything packed up....including a sun screen I didn't need because of the picnic table canopy.

IMG_0008.JPG

KC8VWM and AK5B like this.
  7. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Please note that these are the prototype UHF versions; they're for 440-1296MHz only and are often "throw in" to sweeten the deal when purchasing an HF system.

KC8VWM and WD0BCT like this.
  8. WD0BCT

If inflated from as many body orifices as possible one becomes a Yagi!

KC8VWM likes this.
  9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Lol I guess I am going to be losing millions of dollars. :) However, I think the feather light vertical would be a popular seller for MFJ especially if they use my callsign in their marketing literature.

Titanium sand spikes sound like a good idea too. Would you actually believe I have some titanium ground stakes around here somewhere? Bet they could be driven right through rocks and boulders on the SOTA mountain summits.

The ground stakes can also be used to construct a portable ultralight BBQ grill that also functions as a portable log periodic dipole array. :D

[​IMG]

10. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, of course---but remember to exercise extra caution with regards to UHF radiation exposure limits especially while using such a Ham Orifices Array Configuration.

KC8VWM likes this.