Ultra Beam UB-50 vs 3 ele Steppir

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by GI4SIZ, Feb 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. GI4SIZ

GI4SIZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi,
    I am now in the process of purchasing a new antenna, my mind set on one of the above.

Has anyone had the chance to compare either antenna ??

Would be very interested to recieve comments.
    Thanks

Trevor
    GI4SIZ

2. KA7NIQ

KA7NIQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Surely, you must be kidding Mate ?
    The Ultra Beam UB 50 is a small compromised antenna vs The 3 element SteppIR that has a longer boom.
    But if I were you, I would buy the Ultra Beam, because if it breaks, you will be closer to parts and support.
    And if you were here in America, I would suggest the SteppIR, for the same reason.

3. W5WS

W5WS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The UB 50 has a 15' 8" boom compared to the Steppir's 16' boom, not much of a compromise. The UB 50 has a reflector with bent ends that has an internal element that is almost a full sized dipole on 40m. The UB 50 also costs 2200 Euros, don't know what the cost of a Steppir is in the UK after VAT, etc. The Steppir with the 40m add on is probably about the same price. I'd be interested in hearing of anyone's experience with the UB 50.

Rob
    NV5E

4. KA7NIQ

KA7NIQ Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL, I read meters as feet in the specs, thought it had a 5 ft boom.
    I think these motorized element multiband Yagi's are the way to go. It looks like Stepp IR has competition, and serious competition at that!
    Competition is always good, especially for us consumers.

Hopefully, one day MFJ or someone else will knock off the motorized element design, and the price will come down even more ?

5. W5WS

W5WS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, I wouldn't mind seeing some competition and lower prices.

Rob
    NV5E

6. N1KON

N1KON Ham Member QRZ Page

Mighty Fine Junk....???????????????????? oh pllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease if anyone in US does a knock off don't let it be MFJ, I have a SteppIR and love it... The idea of a motorized antenna is it needs to last. I am sure that there has been some steppIR lemons but if MFJ made them they would most likely not last long enough vs the hassle. In this case guys you do get what you pay for. In regards to the UB, for what I seen it look pretty good.

7. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I also would go with the Ultra Beam excellent antenna and not prone to breakage, ware and parts failure like the SteppIR. I considered an Opti Beam for some time but after the shipping and other costs decided on a Mosley Pro-67 C3 instead the SteppIR has to many maintenance issues for my liking plus we have a lot of ice in the winter. Mosley is located in the same state I live in so lower shipping costs on anything I need, nothing so far in 4 years.

Have 3 friends in my area who have them and all of them have had them down at least once a year and one of them 4 times this last year alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.