ad: CQMM-1

Ultimate Heathkit Restorer On Ham Nation

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K9EID/SK2024, Jul 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W9KKB

W9KKB Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow - what a thread! Loving this... :)

2. K7LRC

K7LRC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Mixed feelings about the prank detailed earlier in this thread. Hadn't seen that until after the Ham Nation post. Sure, the prank got a lot of attention and was quite clever. Yes, it seemed convincing and a few caught on that there was something a bit off. But for those of us that were intrigued with the possibility that it was REAL, the perpetrator betrayed us, IMHO. I don't want to sound like a hater, or buzz-kill, because the master-mind is obviously a very knowledgeable Heathkit historian and skilled restoration wizard - but use your powers for good, and fellow HAMs will praise and respect you for that even more. : - ) Just one HAM's opinion. Let the comments fly...

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Hi Larry - first off, I really like your QRZ photo :) Very nice.

And I TOTALLY get where you're coming from. The whole HC-10 prank thing just took on a life of it's own, ya know? This was WAY WAY WAY before my K1T/Howard E. Anthony Special Event and very respectful Historical Review & tour of the things that Mr. Anthony brought to us all, that I took months to document in several threads here, including two trips to Benton Harbor/St. Joseph/Dowagiac

In retrospect, I'd not do it again as I did. I actually agree with your thoughts, in hindsight. It was really fun at the time, for the obvious reasons you could imagine - and don't forget that it took a HUGE effort! That was no small feat. And in the end, it was a very very useful device in my shack that I used on the air for almost 2 years.

But I actually have to agree with you in the sense that other than being a very clever April Fool's joke, I'd have done it differently now - a true "Fake Heathkit" as all the others - showcase a device I designed and built to serve a need that Heath Co. missed - so I honored them by coming up with one and styling it like they did.

No need for "comments to fly" - I'm the guy that did it, and am here to say that while crazy fun at the time, today I'd do it differently.

You're not a buzzkill at all.

Respectfully,

Dave
    W7UUU

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    W6NYA, N7ANN and W5BIB like this.
  4. K7LRC

--------------

Hi Dave, W7UUU;
    Thanks for the understanding and kind words, after reading my comments. It's all good - we live and learn!

All this talk about fake Heathkits and filling voids the company originally missed, I wonder why a real company like Heathkit hasn't popped up in modern times, offering well designed, functional gear for all the nostalgic, gear-hungry HAMs in this century. I bet the thought crossed your mind more than a few times. Too much investment and not enough return? Would the kits be too expensive? Are modern HAMs more interested in high-tech transceivers and gear? Maybe all of the above. Most folks know that Heath offers a few kits today, but not anywhere near what the company once did. Pretty sad for us Heath-Saps out there.

PS. After looking at your QRZ station photos, I'm now motivated to search for a SB-610 to restore and add to my shack. Glad there's still plenty of used Heath gear out there to acquire!

Sincerely,
    Larry
    K7LRC

5. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Larry,

I'll speculate a little on your question about the lack of Heathkit nostalgic kits today. Being honest, with my limited time I jump on the IC7300 before I'll tune up on a portion of one band at a time with the Drakes. Nostalgic tube and hybrid rigs like Heathkits are fun and educational to operate but they require more patience, knowledge, maintenance and practice than today's solid state rigs. My guess is that a new tube-type Heathkit 100 watt transceiver wouldn't capture a profitable market share.

Next, SMD technology appears to be the dominant circuit construction of today. Kits that are out there, from Elecraft, Youkits, Pacific Antenna, MFJ Cubs, Four State QRP, QRPme, LNR's Mountain Topper kit, Breadboard Radio, Genesis Radio and others often have pre-assembled SMD boards as part of their kits because most hams don't have the skill or equipment to fabricate miniature SMD circuits.

Maybe if Heathkit made a solid state QRP transceiver solder kit offering with ICs and larger solid state components instead of a plethora of SMDs, they'd have a profitable product. For Heathkit to get back to a semblance of their heyday, they'd have to get serious with a QRO kit that wasn't a slouch when compared to today's Icoms, Elecrafts, Flex's, etc.

If Heathkit made kits such as rock solid remote antenna switches, an HF/VHF/UHF station SWR/Power meter similar to the 1980s Kenwood SW2000, or an amazing audio filter with visible skirts for slicing and dicing CW, digital and SSB or speakers with onboard audio filtering, or an SB-101 updated with internal antenna tuner option, WARC bands, 160M & 6M plus options for easy interface with a PC for digital modes, I'd look very closely at those kits.

Best,
    Hugh-WA2LXB

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  6. K7LRC

---------------------

Hello Hugh, WA2LXB;
    Ironically, as I read your reply, I was just finishing up a short QSO with ZY158CAT in Brazil, using my SB-200 and IC-7300 as the exciter! The best of both worlds I suppose. Yes, I'm sure you're right about the tiny SMT components and difficulty with assembly, plus the profit (or lack of) aspect. How about a simple one or two-sided PCB designs with thru-hole components in kits mirroring classic Heath's from yester-year? I like your SB-101 idea too! Have two of those jewels within an arms reach, as we speak. The modern Heath SWR/ Power meter and other accessory products approach might be nice too, but there's lots of competition out there. Oh well, it's nice to dream...
    73 - Larry K7LRC

7. K7LRC

P.S.: WA2LXB - very nice and clean station you have there!
    K7LRC

8. WA2LXB

Thanks! I'm about to mess up that nice clean station as I put the HR-10B back on the bench to continue the point-to-point check and repair of that rig. Dave was also in the midst of repairing his HR-10B a while back, and it would be beyond cool to have a QSO with him on refreshed 10Bs and DX-60s. Once I get the 10B and DX-60 thoroughly checked, I'll go visit AB2RA to get the tubes re-tested, rigs aligned and to modify the DX-60 for PTT and any other mods she deems appropriate. It will be fun to have the Heathkit station on the air.

And I agree with your Bio: if we can't build new Heathkits, we can restore and operate them...in some cases making them better than new.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  9. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

We'll make it happen I'm sure! Things are crazy right now with K1T but by fall it should settle down a bit...

[Edit to say: The K1T thing has been all consuming - and on top of that, we're gearing up to move out to the country from the city - so it's pretty insane right now - but trust that my plan is absolutely to have a DX-60b HR-10b station on the air - no question - something I wanted since I knew what ham radio even was]

Dave
    W7UUU/K1T

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    N7ANN and WA2LXB like this.
  10. K8PRG

K8PRG Ham Member QRZ Page

I stopped by to visit with Jerry today and he let me take a few pictures of his Heathkit museum....many of his kits are pictured in Chuck Penson's book. Jerry's b.jpeg Jerry's c.jpeg Jerry's d.jpeg Jerry's e.jpeg Jerry's f.jpeg Jerry's g.jpeg Jerry's a.jpeg

N7ANN, K7LRC and W9KKB like this.
  11. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow great Pics

WA2LXB likes this.
  12. WA2LXB

one million...no...ONE BILLION Heathkits:)

13. W9KKB

W9KKB Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow. Thanks for posting those pictures of W8JOR's museum, Rick - they are perfect for whenever I (or xyl) think I have too many green rigs... :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    K8XG and WA2LXB like this.
  14. W3ATV

W3ATV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Everyone loves a good prank! Even QST throws some pranks in their April issue. I personally enjoy them. It was all in good fun.

W7UUU likes this.
  15. W3ATV

W3ATV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In the collectors car industry there have been many "fakes" made for profit. Fake SS Chevelles and Camaros, Hemi Cudas, etc. Unfortunately some of these cars get pawned off as real. People now make what they call "Tribute" cars. They are not genuine, but replicas of the originals. They do not try to pawn them off as real, but they are getting darn good $$$$ for these "Tribute" vehicles.

Dave, It is admirable that you are honoring Heathkit by making accessories that go with your collection. In your interview you said "fake" Heathkit when describing these accessories. I think fake has a negative connotation to it. I think you should call them "Heathkit Tributes", not fakes. They were made to help commemorate your Heathkit collection and should be mentioned in a positive light.

Awesome interview- I enjoyed it very much. I look forward to your next "Tribute" Heathkit device. :)