ad: GNOHF-1

Ukrainian Transverters

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KB2E, Jul 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KB2E

KB2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, for under $80.00 I decided to try one of the Transverters on eBay. Woudl I do so again? Probably not! It sits now working only in receive. Yes, I forgot to lower the power and sent 100 watts to it. The attenuator board is not rated for that kind of power nor of course is the transverter itself. Totally my fault. There are threads here addressing the potential problems and components to look at and test. My message here is not asking for help fixing it but to rate it. I'll likely not repair it or will do so when I have absolutely nothing to do and am bored to death.

Anyway, I'd rate the units as well built physically but that's it. The drift is really unacceptable! You can watch the drift on the FT8 waterfall and of course hear it when you chase your QSO partner and he or she chases you up or down the band in SSB mode. If you leave it on 24/7 the drift is less but still there. The answer from the manufacturer is "there is nothing you can do. It's not a TCLO!" Well, for a few bucks (or less) more perhaps it should be. Email response is hit and miss. Shipping is right on the money though. You'll get your drifty, don't over drive it by accident or you'll have a 2 meter drifty receiver, transverter in exactly 2 weeks or less.

I guess I can use the little box, switch and BNC connectors for something else but it won't be for replacement boards for this less than well supported, drifty, protection lacking transverter. Well, I guess I shouldn't say protection lacking. The attenuator will protect it maybe to 20 watts, 15 max rated.

Again, it's my fault that it blew up. Before it did though I was less than pleased with the MAJOR drift. I was thinking about trying to keep the temp constant and see if that helped but I have no further interest in this unit. I just wanted to inform others.

KY1K and W1TRY like this.
  2. KK6VQK

KK6VQK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the 220MHz one. I'm thinking of modifiying it for externally clocked TCXO...

3. KB2E

Yeah, I thought about sometghing like that. Junk stuff really. I mean it gets you on 2 or 220 or 440 but it's too drifty and it would not have taken much to fix that. Sure it would cost a little more for sure. When I sell my rental house I'm just going to buy a FT991A or some other shack in a box rig and use it up on 2 and 70cm. Maybe a used TS2000. No more XVTR's of this type for me. I own a IC7300 but the 9700 is a bit pricey for me and I don't do much VHF so an old used TS2000 would probably be just fine.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like it's a "crystal" problem, and the seller may have access to cheap crystals.

A new custom-cut crystal for 116 MHz (example) or whatever can cost upwards of $35. The whole wired and tested transverter sells for $80.

Did it come with a good recipe for Borscht? :)

5. KK6VQK

KK6VQK Ham Member QRZ Page

well, sure, but ... now i have an all mode 220MHz setup. I took this and an ALC feedback board to hook this into my TS-430.

I'm going to experiment with a programmable TCXO from SiTime to see if it's stable enough.

(Then, same experiments for 900MHz; I'd love to have an all mode 900MHz radio for experimenting with..)

6. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are plenty of alternatives for 2m and 440, but not for 220.

Someone should come up with a fix for the drift and package THAT as a kit. Just buy both at once. I'd just drive it with a QRP rig to start with and avoid the protection oops problem.

7. KB2E

Oh yeah, secretly knew some day I'd do exactly what happened. When I flew there were checklists for everything. So I made one and hung it on the XVTR. Switcth to 10, lower power to 10, flip the antenna switch to B, power on XVTR. Once you do that a bunch of times it becomes second nature, especially a 4 step procedure. So what do I do? The thansceiver is on 6. I lower the power to 10, the XVTR is already on, I switch the antenna switch to B, I switch to 10 meters and I set the freq and key up. BANG! Well, in Icoms ifinite wisdom they decided that power level on the band you choose should be the same as the last time you used it. So 10 was set to 100 watts. One very interesting thing I found though is that it doesn't always follow. Last night I was set at 45 on 80 meters. I had the amp running. I switched to 40 where I had been earlier without the amp at 100 watts. The 7300 stayed at 45 watts after the switch to 40. Other 7300 owners have stated that their unit never remembers the last power setting and I have seen this first hand on a local hams 7300, it never remembers. What ever power level he sets is carried to the next band. But, whatever, I varied from a short list and when you do that it can cause disaster be it in radio or in the air. At least one can buy a new radio or fix it and get back ON the air, one may never get back IN the air.

8. KB2E

LOL :) No, but then again I hate Borscht. I'm just going to grab an all mode XCVR off eBay or buy a "shack in the box" radio for my jump into VHF. Seriously I don't even know if I'll remain interested that's why I chose the XVTR. There's hardly any activity anymore. When I was young 2 in this area was pretty active not just on repeaters but simplex phone and CW as well. Some days we could talk as far as NYC and even farther, out to the midwest and once to Florida on 2. Last night it opened up for about 90 minutes (a friend called all excited) and I heard Florida. Can't transmit obviously.

VHF is expensive if you're serious about it so that kind of limits my interest and I'm not the kind of guy who gets all googly because I worked a guy 80 miles away on some high frequency with my 25 element beam pointed at a brickwall to bounce the signal around a hill and hit the guy. It's physics, it's math, it can be figured out and tweaked successfully, professionals are presented with these kinds of problems all the time. I get more excited over working Asia on SSB with 25 watts and no directional antenna. I worked Texas once on 5 watts at S9! If I had 48 KW ERP (as someone I know does) I'd expect to be able to do moon bounce successfully. Still, with the large wire and all the rest of the VHF expense I want to give it a try. I'll start on 2 and 70cm and perhaps I'll like it and go from there. MSK144 on 6 has my interest and I'm having some success. I'll try it on 2 when I get the rig to do it.

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, I remember the good old days also.

I lived in NJ back then and worked guys up in the Finger Lakes/Rochester/Buffalo/Toronto area every single day on 2m -- distances of 300-400 miles -- every day. Didn't matter what conditions were.

Back in the late 70s, stations like Frank K2OS in Rochester used to literally pin my S meter on 2m, from >300 miles away (2m CW -- he was on every night). We both ran kilowatts and big antennas, and it was like ragchewing with a local.

Used to work Bernie VE1UT in Nova Scotia every day (350-400 miles, other direction). Bunky K4EJQ in eastern TN was always very strong (350-400 mi, still a different direction). The only direction where I couldn't work anyone 400 miles away on 2m daily was southeast -- because anything past the first few miles was the ocean!:p

Good old days.:)

10. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd pack my sedan with ten band station and drive three hours to get to Mount Equinox Vermont for a weekend. I must have done almost two dozen outings before finally getting 902 MHz VUCC grid award #25, as well as grid awards on the five higher microwave bands. I have no fear whatsoever driving up and down mountains. :)