ad: elecraft

Ukrainian coaxial relays - any good?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by WA7F, May 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you ever browse the QRZ classifieds or even fleabay then you have probably seen these Ukrainian coaxial relays that are rated for 1500 watts to 650 MHz. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I’m considering building a legal limit remote VHF/UHF station and some switching would come in handy.

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Is this an example of the relay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Ohm-SPD...476532?hash=item443d8dc1f4:g:fnIAAOSw~bZbKlsv

You need to make sure that you get the proper connectors with the relay because they are different from those commonly used in this country. I haven't even had one in my "hot little hands" so this is only conjecture! The specifications are such that, if they are accurate, the relays should work fine for amateur radio applications.

My experience with the Russian surplus has been confined to vacuum tubes and variable capacitors. However, so far, all of those items for which I have experience, all of them work fine.

Glen, K9STH

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have seen those but haven't used any.

As long as the seller is honest and ships what's shown, I'm sure they're fine. My only objection is the non-standard connectors which will kind of lock in exactly those cables used for it since nothing else would work.

4. WA7F

Thanks, WIK. Do you have idea what the connectors are?

I haven’t seen any bad reviews of the guy but, maybe none have been purchased on QRZ.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  5. WB2WIK

It says what they are in the ad:

Connectors, Type SR-50-161FV, are for cable up to 11 mm

11mm = 0.433" so the connectors should work with RG-213/U, RG-214/U etc. but not with bigger cables.

They're specialty Russian connectors: http://russian-electronics.com/products/wires-connectors/:sr50-161fv

If there are SR-50-161 to type N or similar adapters available, that would be great but I haven't seen any.

6. WA7F

Alrighty then. These relays have just lost the luster for me. I think I’ll just keep my eyes open and see what comes along. Maybe some Jennings relays will pop up. There is really no rush on this project. Good call WIK. Thank you.

7. WB2WIK

The Dow Key DK60Ns are fine, although today prohibitively expensive; but they can be found used/surplus for reasonable prices.

The Japanese Tohtsu relays are Dow Key knockoffs and work fine; pretty reasonably priced, even new.

My own 2m kW amp uses old Dow Key relays (DK60 series) but I bought them new in 1978 when they were about $20/each. They're very good but a lot more expensive today.

8. WA7F

Thanks Steven. I’ll keep an eye open for the Dow Key relays, I have a couple smaller Dow Key relays. I found a “NOS” Jennings relay that might be useful. Cant find the specs at the moment but I think it’s good to 1 kW or so. Maybe I just threw 50 bucks away. Sorry about the fuzzy photo.

B4A95606-7B21-4EA9-8155-B1E062495A62.png