ad: Radclub22-1

UK Short Wave Magazine to merge with Radio Active

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Oct 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

The end of an era will occur in January 2006 when the long-running UK publication Short Wave Magazine, ceases publication as a separate title and merges with another magazine from the same publisher, Radio Active

Elaine Richards, the editor of Radio Active, explained to Mike Terry: "The publishers are picking the best bits out of both magazines to create a new title RadioUser.

Read the full story

2. M5AKA

M5AKA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm pleased to see that some of the key columns of RadioActive such as Monitoring the Military and DAB will be continued in the new magazine.

It is sad to see another radio publication disappear from the UK newsagents shelves, only PW and RadioUser are now left.

I estimate that RadioUser will have a circulation of about 24500.

73 Trevor M5AKA

3. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

When I got into amateur radio back in the 60's Short Wave Magazine was an amateur radio magazine similar in content to the present day Practical Wireless. I don't know when everything changed but when I decided to become active in amateur radio again after several years of doing other things I bought a copy of SWM to bring myself up to date and found the content was no longer relevant. Its always sad when a magazine goes to the wall, and whilst I won't miss SWM in its present incarnation I feel a pang because of the importance it had for me many years ago.

RIP SWM!

Brian G8ADD

4. KB1KIX

KB1KIX Ham Member QRZ Page

All I can say is at least there is some sort of merger between the two.

I've only seen one issue, wish I had a subscription, but wasn't able to afford it at the time (overseas subscriptions go through the roof!!!).

It's amazing, I'm noticing more of my non-ham friends listening to short wave radio - yet the broadcasters say the numbers are getting smaller.

Jonathan

5. 2E0GYD

2E0GYD QRZ Member

its a shame to see swm to go, it contained lots of usefull stuff and wasnt overcomplicated, and yet i wonder, how magazines such as trainsspotting mags stay on the shelves,who goes trainspotting now?

73 de rick 2E0GYD [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.