ad: AbAuRe-1

UK Regional Secondary Locator issue

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by MW0NRE, Jun 29, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. MW0NRE

MW0NRE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As I live in Wales 99% of the time my callsign is MW0NRE and that is the callsign registered her on QRZ.

However should I be in a different UK region a search for the callsign I have to use comes up blank, for example if I'm in England I have to yse M0NRE and Scotland MM0NRE for example.

I feel the QRZ database should handle UK RSLs correctly.

2. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

When I search for M0NRE, your MW0NRE page comes up. What do you want to happen?

KP4SX likes this.
  3. MW0NRE

That's because I've now set up an alias to work round QRZs shortcoming.

QRZ should cope with RSLs automatically

4. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the way it is done. You're not supposed to have multiple accounts.

5. MW0NRE

I'm not suggesting I should. I'm suggesting QRZ should handle them natively. ie if a UK callsign is registered the QRZ should handle lookups no mater what RSL is used.

For example G7LTQ if found yet GW7LTQ isn't

6. KP4SX

That's the way it is done. You're not supposed to have multiple accounts.
    If the person wants his call to do that he can do like you did with an alias.

7. MW0NRE

That's the workaround. I'm suggesting QRZ should handle this properly itself

8. K8VHL

QRZ does handle it properly when things are set up correctly. There are certain things that users need to understand to get the maximum benefit. (1) The first is that all UK and most other non - USA accounts are manually entered by QRZ volunteer DX Helpers. There is no automatic system that transfers the information from your governing body to QRZ. (2) You may have multiple callsign pages but only one log in account. (3) You will also need a logbook for each callsign.
    You can add certain types of callsigns here: https://www.qrz.com/edit/mw0nre the 8th item down.
    All other callsigns can be added by making a request here: https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?forums/add-my-call-sign-to-qrz-database-helpers-forum.121/ Be sure to review the FAQs at the top of that forum before posting your request.
    Great information on dealing with multiple callsigns for logging purposes is found under the Logbook Help tab in the Logbook Documentation.
    Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  9. MW0NRE

But the point is that in reality M0NRE and MW0NRE are the same callsign and certainly should have the same logbook.

The problem is the stupid UK RSL system that needs to be handled but QRZ, this is not about what the DX helpers ADD IT'S THE BACKEND SYSTEM.

10. KP4SX

No and no. They may be the same person but they are NOT the same callsign and you can't mix callsigns in the same log. They aren't even the same DXCC entity, grid square, co-ordinates, etc.
    What would you put in your Logbook Properties in such a case?
    I don't know of any logging system that does this.

11. K8VHL

We've tried and failed to give you a basic understanding of the subject matter. Please do the reading referenced in post #8.

12. MW0NRE

If I go to north Wales and operate as MW0NRE/M I will not have the the same grid square or co-ordinates either!

I think this is a eunique problem in the UK where one's callsign is modified according to operating location, something stupid from OFCOM in all honesty

13. MW0NRE

The Problem is that OFCOM have issues me with just 1 callsign M0NRE but the UK regulations state that I must add a Regional Secondary Locator depending on where I am operating from.

14. MI7WJL

MI7WJL Ham Member QRZ Page

O boy, I was about to ask for some help with creating a logbook, but I am a N.Ireland operator and would have the same problems. The thing that annoy's me the most about all these Ham Radio bodies and the so called HELP forum's, they seem to me to be staffed by people who are not the most understanding, or patient of people. Why become involved with a HELP forum if you can't or do not want to help. The issue raised is a fair point and affects all of the UK operators who are mobile, portable, SOTA, IOTA, you name it. The responce in my humble opinion was not what I would have expected.

15. K8VHL

We'd be happy to help you set up your logbook. The "issue raised" is handled smoothly by thousands of UK hams. Please review post #8 above and please let me know if you find that information helpful or not. Perhaps we're not presenting the information clearly.