ad: vanity

UHF/VHF Begged home base?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KA6EZH, Feb 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KA6EZH

KA6EZH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks....test tomorrow :)

2. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Rigs: Kenwood TM-V71a, D700a, if verified as undamaged should be under $350.00. Icom has good dual band rigs, many customers moving to 5100 ( too expensive per your message ). Yaesu- same way- some folks moving to narrow band and digital modes. These three companies all have newer products with more digital modes, eg. D-Star ( Icom 5100, new Kenwood ) or DMR ( Yaesu/Vertex ). They also sell programming cables and software. Consider the cost of accessories including PL(tm) ( subaudible tone) and DCS encoders/decoders for older rigs. You also might want a reliable DTMF microphone keypad for Echolink. Put a good antenna up in you attic- a 4 element Yagi should fit, using quality cable. When that is done, check to see if you really need to hurry on a mobile rig. Mobile operation can involve a lot more prep work than you might think.

3. KA6EZH

Many thanks for the tips! Passed the test yesterday and am waiting for FCC to issue my call sign. Then I'll apply for my Dad's old call.

4. K1IGS

K1IGS Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats!

5. KA6EZH

Thanks! Looking forward to getting Dad's call KA6EZH!

6. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats......Y'all come back for the General real soon! In the mean tine don't forget that a Tech has limited HF privileges.

7. KA6EZH

Thanks!

....HF limits...got it......Spousal Unit reminds me of my limitations, so all is well.

8. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

WING:

You just have to give your spouse a choice where things like antennas are concerned. Casually show her an antenna that is obviously ugly and say that you are seriously considering that antenna. Then, mention the antenna that you really want to use, that is much more attractive, and say that, in a "pinch", you could live with that antenna.

Years ago, not that long after moving to Richardson, Texas, and living in a different house, I had traded for a tri-band (20, 15, 10-meters) quad. I had assembled the antenna in my backyard and then looked very closely at the situation. With power lines, it would not really be safe to erect the quad and I had just started to disassemble the antenna when my wife walked out the back door.

She said, "You are NOT going to put up that antenna". Then, she pointed at my 3-element 15-meter beam that was about 30-feet up on a Rohn HX tower and said, "That kind of antenna is OK". She then walked back into the house.

Even today, she still thinks that she got her way with the quad. After moving to this house, I put up towers with Yagi antennas and she hasn't really complained!

http://nebula.wsimg.com/58d5f90d22e...50C433DB440D6B60D&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Glen, K9STH

9. KA6EZH

...ever since Eve, we've lived in a Matriarchy. The dear ladies allow us to think we have some control....best to just go along with it.
    "If the Lady of the house is happy, all is well".

...waiting for my license to appear in the FCC Database........tik tok tik tok...

10. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

WING:

But, tricking one's spouse into thinking she is in control but actually getting what you really want, is definitely a technique that comes in handy at times.

I have a wife and 3-daughters. Before I retired, and was working in downtown Dallas, Texas, I was often not confined to my office. In fact, I was often "in the field". But, when I was in my office, the vice president's secretary would often ask me to assist on various projects. She said that, since I had a wife and 3-daughters, I was "well trained" and she could "trust me" to do things her way!

Glen, K9STH