UDOO !!! WOO HOO !!!

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by AA7QQ, Feb 15, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W6MGV

W6MGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Ed,

I'm brand new to amateur radio and want to jump into the deep end, with SDR. Professionally, I'm an I.T. geek... so it seemed like the logical direction (albeit, an expensive direction :))

Would you be willing to share some of your insight or provide guidance, to a new ham?

Marc

2. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Honestly, review the different units. See what you want to do. Read up on the forums of the ones you like.
    But, first, get a TV dongle & play with it. They are about $8-$30 (Some have downconverters). Play. You will learn very quick, due to your interests.
    I like the LimeSDR USB. With the development suite, even a novice in computers can learn how to build a radio in the suite & there are good examples. I now have 2 of them.
    I am more of a Windows guy, but do dabble in Linux more, now that I have it. In Windows, only SDRAngel (I think) has a fully functioning transceiver for it.
    There are many choices out there & new ones just coming out soon. The XTRX in a mPCIe card with similar capabilities as the Lime (Uses a Lime chip) & that slides right in a laptop, or higher end maker boards.

Ed