ad: w5yi

UDOO !!! WOO HOO !!!

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by AA7QQ, Feb 15, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
  1. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an Udoo X86 Ultra arriving today. It will be used for a project to build a "Smallish" DC-daylight (Well, 3.8Ghz) transciever with a Lime SDR & an old touchscreen forklift computer.
    I will doccument most of the Udoo stuff here, as I should get the most help here.
    It will be all linux, as the Windows softwares are still pretty rough.
    https://www.udoo.org/udoo-x86/

I got the last one in the USA. Mouser has over 300 on backorder....

Ed

K6EIR likes this.
  2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey that's pretty nifty. The price is right too. How did you find out about Udoo? I've wanted exactly that for a while, starting to make things that the RPi runs out of gas.

3. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

That site navigation is pretty bad, with the pop-ups. What exactly did you get?

Ted, KX4OM

4. AA7QQ

I used the Udoo Quad a while back, while prototyping an ECU for 98.5-02 Dodge diesels. I never finished the engine controls porting, but had a killer Android touchscreen nav /phone/entertainment system.
    The Ultra was my 2nd choice, though. I wanted & will still get the Jetpack TX2. I just cannot fit the Jetpack in the enclosure, with a TS-440 band decoder, BPFs, PA, & LPFs. I still need to do a VHF/UHF PA & filter system.
    All band, all mode, all digi modes, all digi voice modes (Yes, Fusion, too), VNA (Still working on it) & the world's most expensive Mr. Microphone...

Ed

5. AA7QQ

I went all out & got the Udoo X86 Ultra. 4 core 2.56Ghz, 8GB RAM DDR3 dual, 32Gb EMMC on the board, 4K video, etc...
    I'll be firing it up this weekend. Need to redo the main shack computer to dual boot with Linux. Probably 17.X.
    Once that's done, I'll find the best distro for the Udoo.

Ed

6. AA7QQ

Well, WIN10 Pro is up and running. All of the software & drivers work fine, so far. No glitches in a 1/2 day of operation.
    Tomorrow, comes the Ubuntu 17.10 Arch Linux install & try to remember how it all works again...

Ed

7. AA7QQ

Well, WIN 10 Pro is up & running with all software & drivers for the LimeSDR USB & the Udoo. I also have all of my ham related software loaded on.
    Tomorrow, I will at least get Ubuntu 17.10 Arch installed. Not sure if I can get everything working with the Lime in Linux, but I'll try.

Ed

8. AA7QQ

[​IMG]
    Top pic top left, clockwise:
    RF board from TS-440 SAT (BCD band decoder, BPFs 0-30 Mhz, outputs to LPF, PA & AT)
    LPF board
    TS-440 SAT AT system that will not fit, but I may add some sheetmetal to make it happen.
    Heat sinks from GE MSTR II repeater
    25W UHF Class AB PA (Have a 40-60W to test)
    TS-440 SAT PA board.
    Lime SDR USB
    Udoo X86 Ultra

[​IMG]
    25W UHF Class AB PA (Might go for the larger one.

[​IMG]
    Lower left pic is the enclosure. It's a 12.1" touchscreen VX9 mobile (Forklift) computer that I gutted.

I'll keep ya posted

Ed

9. AA7QQ

For VHF, this weekend, I will try out one of my surplus BLF278 VHF boards at 14 volts. They are a 300W 50VDC LDMOS. I have several extras, so, it might fit the bill.

Ed

10. AA7QQ

Sorry for the lack of updates... I got the flu. I did some funky experiments, that I recorded, that I do not remember at all. 104* delerium can do that, I guess.
    3-BLF278s smoked & 1 blown to pieces. 1-Sample 1800W LDMOS smoked....
    Looks like I had a lot of fun....
    Folks, please do not experiment when you are out of it !!!! Well, heck, you wouldn't know, anyways.
    I did get130-410 Mhz stable with a BLF278, I think. I'll recheck it this weekend.
    I am going a different way for the PA on VHF/UHF, but just wanted to update you all (3).

Ed