Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by NZ2N, Mar 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AK7V

AK7V Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone running Ubuntu have a problem with recorded audio quality? There's some problem with Ubuntu and my laptop's audio input. Quality is of audio I record is very, very tinny. I've played with all sorts of parameters to no avail. I did not have the problem with any other distros.

How's audio input from the soundcard work in your Ubuntu setups?

2. WA3KYY

WA3KYY Ham Member QRZ Page

Does N1MM run under any of the emulators? That and the fact that I use logger32 as my everyday logging program and three net specific programs keep me from switching to a linux flavor for the shack computer.

Elsewhere in the house I need to run Family Tree Maker to handle my huge genealogy databases and then there is Guild Wars.

If all of the above ran under a version of linux I would be happy to switch off windows. As I mentioned in another thread, I have played with linux off and on since the first command line pre-release when I had to cross complile the development tools on a Sun before I could rebuild the kernal with support for all the hardware on the system. I even at one time had a windows manager with a Win95 skin to fool the boss [​IMG]

Mike WA3KYY

3. WA9UAA

WA9UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

If anybody in this thread is counting, this is my third post. I am back to Ubuntu Fiesty on an old 1.3 Ghz HP. There is a fair amount of ham software in the Repositories. I will be trying the db-9 RS-232 ports because, when trying the ports through a USB adapter, they locked up and may have been damaged. These were about 5 years old though. For my main computer I will have a Linux compatible PCI card with two RS-232 ports. So the HP is just an experiment, in fooling around, I have had to reload the distro a couple of times [​IMG] Though, thats some what expected because I got into one of the config. files and couldn't return it to it's previous incarnation. I did print it out for further reference this time. The distro does a lot of things well, there are sources out there for all the drivers and codecs most folks will need. In the shack, I mainly web surf, run radio, or word process. If I can smooth out the DVD player built into the machine I'll be set to branch out on my Linux experience with some digital photo work, playing DVDs,CDs etc.
    Rob WA9UAA [​IMG]

4. AC0H

AC0H Ham Member QRZ Page

My Dad is big time into the Family Tree Maker thing.
    If FTM will export it's data in GEDCOM format you can use GRAMPS under Linux for the geneaolgy stuff.
    I'm going to be doing an Ubuntu install for him this weekend. We'll see.

5. VE3SRE

VE3SRE Ham Member QRZ Page

From a quickie google it looks like a few folks have tried and failed to get it working under "WINE".   I tried to get Log-EQF to work under Wine but was unsuccessful...similar problem...could get it to install but couldn't get it to run.

I did have a look at a newer version of "TLF" which is a Linux contest logging programme developed by a ham in the Netherlands. It's in the latest Debian repositories (which means available for Ubuntu and other Debian-based distros)...and it looks like it's gradually coming along.   Right now it looks like there's only a contest log file available for CQWW...if you need a file for other contests you'll have to create one.

It looks like an interesting approach though...sort of "modular"...they're integrating it into "XDX", a Linux dxcluster programme along with some other Linux ham software.  

I guess give it a little time and we'll be able to dump Window$ for contest logging [​IMG]

6. K4EEZ

K4EEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

is there a good Mp3 player like WinAmp for Ubuntu?
    if so where can i download it

7. W4INF

W4INF Ham Member QRZ Page

Would someone please PM me with some destructions on how to get Freespire to run off CD? Id like to boot off it and try it... My daughter's laptop has Windoze Visa installed and maybe she would do better with a "simpler" OS.

I would also like to know how I can run Windoze apps in a Nix environment please? PM me any suggestions you have, and thank you very much! (I have some apps that I MUST have that are only written for Win)

Thank you kindly for any help...
    Andrew

8. WA3KYY

WA3KYY Ham Member QRZ Page

GRAMPS is probably fine for a small, less than 5 generation family tree but lacks any of the research features I use constantly with FTM in my genealogy research. I have some lines that date back to the 1400s that are highly reliable and one database starting with an ancestor from 1605 that includes over 20,000 descendants. Embedded within the database are links to online documents such as Census Records image that I use to document various dates.

Other than things like Open Office, at the present state of development, the linux equivalents to much of the everyday software I run lack a lot of features that I use.

Maybe one day we will reach the point where a software installation package will recognise the underlying OS and automatically install the correct version. With portable object libraries and a common API, it should be doable. But as always, the devil is in the details.

Mike WA3KYY

9. W4INF

W4INF Ham Member QRZ Page

I booted Freespire from CD, ran beautifully, cept it didnt identify any sound card, and the WiFi didnt pick up my WAP, not even sure if it setup the WiFi right. This is on a Toshiba laptop that is less than 3 months old.

Any suggestions on this? For what it did do, it works really well with a wonderful interface.

Thanks,
    Andrew

10. DJ1YFK

DJ1YFK Guest

xmms is a clone of WinAmp 2. Should be installable via the package manager. For watching videos I use mplayer.

http://www.xmms.org/about.php
    http://www.mplayerhq.hu/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.