uBITX Transceiver semi-kit build

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KD8UYQ, Aug 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD8UYQ

KD8UYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all,

It's been a while since I have spent time on my uBITX project. Summer arrived and it was time for outdoors activities. However, there are several things still on the "To Do" list that I will take up again coming this fall.

* build a Power/SWR indicator for the uBITX
    * put everything in a case with the capability for battery and AC power via a external power supply. Also make the portable uBITX so that it can be docked to a base station with a 100 watt SS amplifier built in, an internal power supply to power the amplifier and the uBITX. Maybe even an integrated automatic antenna tuner.
    Speaking of antenna tuner, that was another thing on the list. A small portable antenna tuner for field use.

A while back the guy that turned me on to the uBIT platform told me that he had successfully made several Z match low power antenna tuners based on those cheap Chinese QRP antenna tuner kits sold on eBay and Amazon. So I thought I would give it a try. The particular Z-match antenna tuner that I was going model mine after is based on the NorCal BLT which is now kited by Pacific Antenna http://www.qrpkits.com/blt_plus.html

The first thing was to buy the Chinese QRP antenna tuner kit.

eBay QRP antenna tuner kit.JPG

Looking at the parts in the kit I figured that I would only need these items.

QRP antenna tuner parts.JPG

Turns out that the two Polyvaricons didn't have enough capacitance to tune anything lower than 20 meters. The kit provided Red Toroid didn't look quite right compared to the Fair-Rite T106-2 that I already had in stock. Sure enough winding the same number turns on each resulted in an inductor made from the kits toroid with half the Q compared to that made from the Fair-Rite toroid.

QRP tuner toroids.JPG

I wound the rest of the inductor using the Fair-Rite Toroid and enamel coated wire from my stash of such.

Even the kit provide knobs were a problem to mount securely to the two variable capacitors. I gave up on them and used my own knobs.

So now I am down to just the SWR detector PCB, the components that populate that board including the DPST switch, the banana plug jacks, and the two BNC panel mount connectors.

I had to come up with two Polyvaricons with enough capacitance and luckily I had them ( https://www.mikeselectronicparts.com/product/variable-capacitor-335pf-20pf/ ), knobs, a metal case, two additional switches, and the before mentioned toroid for the matching circuit itself.

In the end my little Z-match antenna works great and I can even tune down to the middle of the 80 meter band even though the circuit, as designed, is only suppose to cover 40 through 10 meters.

QRP Z-match antenna tuner.JPG

QRP antenna tuner front view.JPG

QRP antenna tuner rear view.JPG

QRP antenna tuner inside view.JPG

A Z match antenna is very quick and easy to tune plus there is no band switch to mess with. It makes a great addition to the uBITX transceiver but save yourself the hassle. Just purchase a kit from QRP Guys, Pacific Antennas, or QRPme.

Ripley

N1OOQ likes this.
  2. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

3. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks good, Ripley. Seems that's the next thing I'll need to build after I finally complete mine.

4. KD8UYQ

Hello Arvo,

Thank you sir. I have heard of the Antuino but didn't check in to it because I already have a very nice RigExpert Zoom antenna analyzer. It has severed me well.

Thank you Matt. There are several places that you can get Z-match antenna tuner kits. Most are designed to tune the 40 through 10 meter bands but depending on the antenna you might be able to tune the mid to high end of the 75 meter band. At least I could tune most of my Alpha-Delta CC and it has a pretty narrow band width on 80/75 meters.

Ripley

5. N8OHU

Ripley, did you go with an audio AGC or RF one? I'm too lazy to go back through the thread right now to find out. I'm looking at the one sold by Kit Projects for mine.

6. KD8UYQ

7. N8OHU

That's basically the same as what I'm getting. Mine should be in today, and I will add it to the list of things I am installing in my radio in my own thread.