ad: KF7PMW-1

uBitx $109 USD

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4FFAB, Dec 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
  1. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve,

What size Bud case?

2. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

3. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Got it working on FT8 with an EASY-DIGI sound card interface and a cheapo USB-to-RS232 dongle.

I put it in a scavenged case, and I haven't thought about a nice one yet.

AE0Q likes this.
  4. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I have some heat sinks left over from when I was making 6 dB attenuators to take 100-watt transmitters down to 25-watts, etc., so that the transmitters could be used with amplifiers like the Johnson Thunderbolt series. I have seriously been thinking of adding one of those to my unit.

heatsink-1.JPG

That heat sink should keep the final amplifier transistors cool!

Glen, K9STH

5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Glen (and everyone else),

You may or may not be aware of the CW keying adapter that Jim W0EB posted on the BITX user group pages end of last month. It’s supposed to really improve the CW keying.

“The QRP Guys” are making the circuit board (only) available for $4 including shipping. I ordered mine this morning, just need to track down the handful of parts (6 small transistors, a diode, 6 capacitors, 8 resistors, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree... well, maybe not that last one).

You might want to look into it. Or not.

K2CAJ likes this.
  6. K9STH

I found an old mini-box that fit "perfectly". Got everything wired up and in the box. I haven't had a chance to hook up a microphone. However, the transmitter works fine for CW. The receiver is not the most sensitive that I own. However, the LDS / MDS are much better than the ambient noise level on HF and that is the real determining factor as to how well the unit is going to work.

One thing to do if you don't like the direction in which the unit tunes, just swap the black wire and brown wire on the tuning control. Another thing is that, at least that I could find, there is no notation in the wiring instructions as to where the set up switch is located. It can be activated by pushing the tuning control inward.

I am getting a pretty good transmit output on 160-meters even though the specifications say no lower than 3 MHz. However, I have not checked using either a counter or a receiver to make sure that the signal is actually where the frequency readout says it is. Will probably check sometime tomorrow. Of course, the power output is pretty much a "pipsqueak" for 160-meters. However, there may be enough drive to get a couple hundred watts out of a linear amplifier.

The frequency steps are 50 Hz, better than the 100 Hz of the Uniden HR-2510, but it would be better if they were 10 Hz. Also, the tuning is fairly rapid. As such, I put a relatively large diameter knob on the tuning control to make the tuning a little bit easier to "slow down" the tuning rate. Then, to get to another amateur radio band (the unit is continuous coverage from 1.000 MHz to 30.000 MHz) having the larger knob does give a slight "fly wheel" effect and the frequency span can be covered more quickly.

Glen, K9STH

7. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Glen,

Word was that a low pass filter needed to be added for 160 operation, to do it “properly”.
    Cost for it was about $5. I’ll see if I can find the reference, if memory serves, I found it off one of the links on the main HFSignals pages.

8. K9STH

One thing about the display in my unit: If you look directly at the display, you can only see 2-rows of "blocks". But, if you look at the display on an angle, the blocks disappear and the display can be read without any problem.

Glen, K9STH

9. KK4WMX

KK4WMX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There is a contrast control on the display board. If you adjust it, you can get things where you can view it straight on.

I ordered one also on 1/1, so waiting my turn for shipping. Collecting add-ons for when it arrives. I ordered the Bud box below, figured it would have the extra space for mods. I plan to use 4 line display. I think the sloping face will make for good ergonomics w/display & controls.

[​IMG]

The display board will be connected by a flat cable jumper. The box is mostly plastic, but I have some copper foil tape w/conductive adhesive to line it.

Nick

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  10. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice drawing.