ad: portazero-1

uBitx $109 USD

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4FFAB, Dec 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Ordered one on Dec 9th arrived Dec 31st a project for the new year.

VK4FFAB likes this.
  2. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Package arrived at about 4:30 this afternoon.

Funny thing was, I was walking home from the Light Rail Transit stop (my car's in the shop). When I saw the DHL truck drive past me, I knew exactly where he was heading!

VK4FFAB and K3XR like this.
  3. VK4FFAB

VK4FFAB Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats, now to the fun part, building it. I am still waiting on a case to stuff mine in. Should be here this week i hope.

4. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Staff Member QRZ Page

Received notice that mine has shipped. DHL says that it will be here sometime on Thursday. I have several things that can be used as a cabinet and hope that one is the "perfect" size!

Glen, K9STH

K3XR likes this.
  5. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I got mine last week. Haven't done anything with it yet. I still need to find a case.

6. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just built a PTT button jack for my headset that also takes care of the "pop" that hits the headphones on TX.

Here's version 2.0: super tight squeeze into a 2xAAA battery case!

IMG_3456.JPG IMG_3458.JPG

This has an input TRRS plug for a headset+mic, and outputs the two TRS jacks for the uBITX. The switch is stable in one direction, and momentary in the other. The stable setting gives me full audio; the momentary setting ties PTT to ground. The setting in between patches an audio pot into the speaker line. This attenuates the audio just before the "pop," and also lowers the sidetone volume for CW.

One can probably achieve the same thing by scavenging a 1NC1NO pushbutton from somewhere.

WZ7U likes this.
  7. G0NMY

G0NMY Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a picture of my Bitx40 after I boxed it up.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

And during construction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although I am considering fitting it into one of these cases https://amateurradiokits.in/product/universal-case-blue-2-accessories/

http://amateurradiokits.in/

The Above site is Run by Sunil Lakhani VU3SUA
    A long time officianardo of the original BITX20
    I have bought several kits from Sunil mainly via Ebay.
    He has cases for the BITX20 40 and is awaiting arrival of a case for the uBitx
    I can highly recommend his company and Sunil is a real gentleman and true Radio Ham!

He also sells on EBAY http://stores.ebay.com/FUSION-RADIO-VU3SUA
    Hope this gives you some case ideas maybe.
    Cheers Mark G0NMY

WZ7U likes this.
  8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I contacted Sunil last week. There will be a case specifically for the uBITX, but won’t be available until sometime late February (and no, he didn’t mention a specific price)

A friend gave me a case that will be big enough. I now need to start drilling holes for the connectors and the display. Had hoped to start on in this week, now that everything is here, but I have a viewing to go to for a friend, so that’s thrown my schedule off a little.

9. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Staff Member QRZ Page

DHL showed up a little while ago with my "kit". To get the build manual and the tune up manual one has to go to

http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx/

Then, the build manual can be downloaded by clicking on the "Wireup" tab that is on the same line as the first BUY indication. Then, the tune up manual can be downloaded on that same line by clicking on the "Tune Up" indication.

Unfortunately, the metal box that I was hoping to use is about 1/4th inch too narrow. Therefore, I am going to have to look around for a suitable cabinet.

Glen, K9STH

10. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Got mine in a Bud case:

20180108_225915.jpg 20180108_225926.jpg
    20180108_225935.jpg

I removed the included heat-sink on the 510 PA's, and bolted them to a 1/4 piece of aluminum which is in turn bolted to the case (isolated) - they don't even get warm.

Need to put together a microphone!

Steve
    KV6O

WZ7U likes this.