ad: AlphaRF-1

U.S.Navy Wireless System Backs Up Olympic Security

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LOU, Feb 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W0RY

W0RY Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KC0ADP

KC0ADP Ham Member QRZ Page

Here we were workign with the authorities with their 800Mhz system but our sectin manager said not to. When asked why, I was told to shut up, do what I was told to do or else..... Still waiting on the "or else".

3. BEENTHERE

BEENTHERE QRZ Member

You know, the one great thing about VOLUNTEERS??

They are there because they care and WANT to help.

The other important aspect?

You do NOT have to PAY volunteers. A concept our government sometimes forgets.

Not all problems can be solved with money and technology - especially under circumstances where an unexpected disaster occurs. Hams are EVERYWHERE.

4. KC7MAW

KC7MAW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I really do not ever see the local radio shack as being of ANY help...... Maybe you've got a good store.....But the personnel at our store don't even understand resistance........

They're just looking for a commission and it doesn't matter if you buy what you need...they just need you to buy...

Mike

5. W7IMM

W7IMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well people,

Did anyone think that Ham radio, with it's 1940's phone capability and RTTY/CW mentality, would EVER be able to compete with modern communications? There are still people that think we should still be testing for Morse code proficiency! We'll have to get out of the 19th century before we can ever get into the 21st century.

If we don't.....well, I'm 48 years old and I'm young as hams go, If we don't figure out a way to attract YOUNG people to this hobbie there probably won't be a ham radio in the future. And that's not far away boys and girls!

73/Rick Myr
    W7MYR

6. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (W7MYR @ Feb. 24 2002,22:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well people,

Did anyone think that Ham radio,  with it's 1940's phone capability and RTTY/CW mentality,  would EVER be able to compete with modern communications?   There are still people that think we should still be testing for Morse code proficiency!  We'll have to get out of the 19th century before we can ever get into the 21st century.

If we don't.....well,  I'm 48 years old and I'm young as hams go, If we don't figure out a way to attract YOUNG people to this hobbie there probably won't be a ham radio in the future.  And that's not far away boys and girls!

73/Rick Myr
    W7MYR[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You know, it's kind of intersting, reading all the posts about this issue.
    I was in "Comm" in the "Corps" in the 70s.
    "I" knew everything there was to know. ( I really did...I was good)
    [So I thought]

I have, after all these years decided to become a Ham.

You can look at the posts, and decide there is no future in ham radio, or you can do as one of the first posts shows, and become a part of the local effort to show what ham radio can do. YES Ham radio is fun...Yes Ham radio is legal..BUT... If we ( and I admit "I" don't have the right to say this yet) don't wake up to the fact that the "Gov." ( Navy) or otherwise, has no reason to trust any non military unit to "protect" the "Gov." interests, we are going to be left out in the cold.
     Packet is not the Internet. Code is not as easy as speech. Yes we need some upgrade in our thinking, but not to the extent we throw away our roots.
    I thought I knew all there was to know about communication on radio. I was wrong. Yes, I am only taking my Tech. test, but because of code requirements I am studying to take General. Please do not "water down" { or worse " dumb down" } my efforts, or why don't I say "to heck with you" and become a "freebander"??(whatever you make that mean)..
    Yes we need to make "kids" intrested in this hobby, but you know, my kids enjoy rules, enjoy having to work for their rewards....
    You know something really funny?... So do I.
    Sorry for using so much bandwidth,
    - Joe

7. KC5FM

KC5FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of you seem to think that during a disaster is the time to convince your local EMA that your gizmos are going to save the day.

Wrong.

NOW is the time to come to the aid of your community.  Approach your local EMA now with your communications capabilities.  Show them (on paper) what you can bring to the table.  Don't rely on flash and whistles.  Get your team together now and be able to explain how many operators are available to operate 24/7 over how long a time.

You will rarely operate that long.  As one poster noted, 72 hours would be a reasonable amount of time before help arrived (now you know why EMA stresses a three-day supply of stuff).

Do you want to do shelter communications?  Do you want to do a damage assessment team?  Do you want to link all the police departments in the County together?  

Show me you have the manpower and the equipment to do it.  Show me you have the determination, perserverance, and stamina to do it.

When you are written into the ECOM plan, then you better show up, even for drills.

Lloyd Colston, KC5FM
    Mayes County Oklahoma EMA

8. KC5FM

KC5FM Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (w4lou @ Feb. 22 2002,15:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wonder how many Fed/State/County/Municipality, Emergency Managers like this idea, especially as a replacement to Amateur Radio. I've read (even on QRZ) how new 800mhz system had authorities telling Hams, "Thanks for all you've done, now go away, we've got it under control now." Of course they ask us back after and "event" disables the fancy-smancy 20 million dollar systems, but its the prevailing attitude about hams that  government authorities have, I'm concerned about.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Here is one local fellow who won't ask you to leave in order to ask you back.

I think there may be a shift to more MARS activity at the local area.  For more information about MARS, see http://www.navymars.org (there are links to the other services).  

I, personally, will use Amateur Radio Operators, IF they show up AND IF they have indicated their willingness to be used beforehand.

Because of workman's compensation insurance issues, I would like an application completed BEFORE the disaster strikes.  This is more for your protection than mine.

I keep my door open.  Care to walk in?

Lloyd Colston, KC5FM
    Mayes County Oklahoma EMA
    http://www.geocities.com/mccem

9. W4LOU

W4LOU Ham Member QRZ Page

Great Comments!

I believe we must rise up to the challenge and do everything we can to promote that we exist, and what we bring to The Table.

We here have setup display tables at several communittee events at local malls. The best one is the hurricane fair in early June, were we are in between storm shutter salepeople. We always get a few tablebrowsers to go through the Tech classes we teach at the EOC and promote citizens to come out to participate Field Day (the interaction between Ctrl Ops and guests are great, the contest scores are nice but secondary to us).

We are also blessed that our County Emergency Mgr. is very supportive of ARES/RACES (even funding complete jump kits). I just know other groups have it tougher. Unfortunately they have to work harder.

Even though, we continue work hard at awareness because we noticed the "handrighting on the wall" a long time ago and will continue aggresive promotion. This year we are moving our Field Day operation (last year we were parked next to a popular boat launch ramp in county park) to an even more visible site (a new popular county park). Next year we may move it again. [​IMG]

Let have some more suggestions as to what your group is doing that is working for your area.

73's de W4LOU
    Louie, Jensen Beach, FL

10. kb1flr

kb1flr Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, the Navy Humvee solution sounds interesting, but I thought that one of our greatest strengths as hams was that we have no single point of failure. If a problem occurred at the games and the Humvee was rendered inoperative, we would still be able to communicate.

I'm just glad nothing happened. We needed to show the world that we could pull off something as big as the Olympics without any danger to the public.

73 de KB1FLR, Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.