ad: elecraft

For Sale TYT TH9800 plus tech special

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by K5YVY, Oct 13, 2017 at 7:50 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: K3QNTad-1
  1. K5YVY

K5YVY Ham Member QRZ Page

ebay listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/292291835480?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649
    Email is good on my QRZ page, prefer PayPal as payment, please contact me for any further information or offers. ebay listing starts at $90.

Offering my radio for a as-is parts radio due to 2 problems that have developed.

Radio cosmetically is in great condition, operationally the radio has a developed a gremlin.

PROBLEM # 1. The radio developed a beep that happens at random, sometimes it happens when you turn it on, sometimes it only does it when you try to transmit, it may quit beeping after your let off the mic or it may keep going. The problem with the beeping, besides being annoying , is it won't let your transmit when it's beeping.

PROBLEM # 2. The radio transmits off frequency. Such as if trying to transmit on 146.520mhz it appears to be transmitting by looking at the display correctly but it's actually transmitting on 137.820mhz outside the amateur bands. I confirmed that with a frequency counter and another receiving radio.

I do not have the skill set to repair this radio. I have tried the following:
    -Factory reset all memory (several times)
    -Program by PC using TYT software
    -Program by PC using CHIRP software
    -Program by radio manually
    -Flashed Firmware (installed 3 different dated firmware's)
    -Removed board from radio chassis and gave it a good cleaning with a soft brush (in case something was creating a conductive bridge between components)

My only other guess is either a cold solder joint or a component has failed, this is where I stop on attempting to repair. The components are micro and my hands aren't that steady.

So I offer this radio as a tech special so that maybe someone may feel confident enough to fix it.
    Included is the original box, microphone (only half back-lighting works), new unused power cord, separation kit, mic clip, factory hardware, mobile bracket, and programming PC cable.

I DO NOT recommend trying to transmit with this radio until repairs are attempted or complete due to the out of band off frequency transmitting.

Here is a link to a video showing the actual radio and the problems I described above.

Attached Files:

2. QRZ
    Important Rules
    Have you read our Swapmeet Safety Rules?

This forum enforces a set of buying/selling safety rules for the benefit of all users. Make sure that you're familiar with the rules before posting or replying in this area. Our moderators review every post in this forum and will flag or delete those that do not conform.