TYT TH-9800 Quad Band Mobile

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NQ7T, Nov 10, 2019 at 11:31 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. NQ7T

NQ7T Ham Member QRZ Page

2. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I’ve never had one, but there have been a few threads about them here on the Zed. The search function should turn them up. It seems like they were a mixed bag of people singing their praises and others having issues.

I have a Yaesu FT-8900R and have no complaints. To me, it was worth the extra money.

NQ7T likes this.
  3. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

An amateur friend of mine bought the VHF/UHF version of that radio. I helped him program it and at the time it seemed to work fairly well. Programming it manually took a few minutes to figure out but once we had the sequence down it wasn’t too bad. As I remember it worked for about 6 months after being installed in his old Ford pickup. Then it quit no lights no anything. We felt at the time the intense heat generated inside a locked vehicle here in Southeast Texas cooked it. Transmit and receive audio sounded ok while it worked but it just didn’t seem to be very durable. Might be ok for indoors with air conditioning but not in a car in a hot climate.

NQ7T likes this.
  4. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've owned one for maybe four years or so. It's in my pickup. It's actually a decent radio, receiver is good, internal speaker is a little tinny, but sounds fine and it's loud enough, and I get good audio reports. Easy enough to program, and Chirp works fine.

NQ7T likes this.
  5. NQ7T

NQ7T Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the replies, guys! Needing to get a mobile with a remote head for the wife's new car. I haven't bought any of the Chinese radios out there, even though many seem to like them. And this particular brand was new to me. I have a FT-8900R like Gary in my truck and have been happy with it.

Does anyone make a 2 meter only radio with a remote head? We only use 2 meter in the car, but are stuck with dual band to get the remote head option.

6. KD8SLQ

KD8SLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

7. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don’t know of any 2m only radios. There are dual banders, like the TM-V71A, but they are as pricey as the Yaesu. When I bought the Yaesu, I really didn’t need the detachable head or 4 bands. I was primarily interested in the cross band repeater. Since I added a HF radio to my truck, I have made use of the detachable head to save room.

8. WS4JM

WS4JM Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had one for about 3 years. The only problem has been the external speaker jack failed, due to mechanical damage. I have baked mine in a hot car in the Tennessee sun with no issues. For a $200 radio it is not a bad value.

9. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The TH-7800 is the dual band version of that radio. If you don't use UHF, just ignore it. The dual receivers is nice. You can monitor your favorite repeater and a simplex channel, for example, and program one of the buttons on the mic to switch sides for transmit.

It comes with a separation kit, and the mic connects to that, which is handy, but the speaker is still in the radio body. Not a big deal, just know that going in.

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you do but a TH-9800, I would recommend buying from a U.S. seller. Amazon is a good place to buy from. Then you get a better warranty.

These radios are nice when they are new and working.

But they don't seem to last very long. Well, 1 year is not very long to me.