TYT TH-7800 - Poor LCD Contrast, Service Manual, Schematic

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by K8ROG, Jan 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K8ROG

K8ROG Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Tytera TH-7800 dual band mobile. The radio seems to work fine but the contrast of the LCD is pretty poor, particularly when compared to my commercial band Kenwood mobile that is mounted in a console right beside the TYT. Does anyone else have this problem? My dealer says that there isn't a fix, "That's just the way it is". I have tried to contact Tytera but no response.

Does anyone have access or know where I can buy a service manual or schematic for this radio? From my engineering days, most LCDs have some kind of contrast control, even if it means changing a resistor.

Thanks,
    Roger
    K8ROG

2. AE5DX

AE5DX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My TYT-9800 seems to have this issue in bright light, daylight conditions, when the display is pointing at eye level or higher. If you tilt it down some, the display is much easier to see. It's almost as if they designed the darn thing for users who are always looking down at it.

3. W4FBI

W4FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

It has been my experience that service manuals are not available for virtually all Chinese Ham radios.

4. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

This brings up an interesting issue—LCD screen adjustments. Very few transceivers have any built-in, software adjusts for their LCD screens, especially contrast adjustments. If there is any contrast adjustment, it is typically inside the transceiver. One I can remember, used a fixed-value resistor. Makes one wonder how they set it at the factory!

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks like VLCD is set by 2 resistors.

upload_2018-4-4_17-28-47.png

6. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems to be made for under dash mounting (not that we can do that anymore). I have a RS rig that behaves the same way. Straight on it's a little faded, tilt it down, high contrast.

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I do remember that some displays had a "Tilt" control, For that very reason.

8. WC2F

WC2F XML Subscriber QRZ Page

does anyone have the service manual for the tytera md-9600 dual band mobile? a friend of mine is looking for one so that he that is a tech and fix something with the power, that the swr was high and finals blown or some capacitors, but need service manual....

Thanks

miguel k4nbc

9. PD1LOI

PD1LOI Ham Member QRZ Page

Here the diagram of the TYT TH-7800

Attached Files:

10. F8BMB

F8BMB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello, I wonder if we can use the programing socket to connect to a packet radio interface?
    If yes have the diagram of this connection, thank you in advance
    Jean-Paul F8BMB