ad: elecraft

TYT MD-2017 Dual Band DMR and MFJ-849 Digital SWR Watt Meter Reviews K6UDA Radio Episode 55

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K6UDA, Jun 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K6UDA

K6UDA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Curiosity got the best of me. I finally ordered a DMR handheld radio and picked the new TYT MD-2017 UHF/VHF DMR Analog unit. I've never used a DMR radio before and wanted to see if an average guy could program it and get on the air.How does DMR compare to D-Dstar? I also got a new digital SWR /Power meter from MFJ just in time for Field Day. This is the MFJ-849 Digital SWR/Watt Meter. What do I think of it?
    EP 55 DMR first timer.jpg

2E0PRG and K3SZ like this.
  2. ZL1PDT

ZL1PDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice I did like the FIELD DAY it is in a field what is the use of a field day and you are in big wall stuff
    keep it up be in THE FIELD for Field day!! do enjoy your program from down here oi the far south nearly down under,
    Pieter,ZL1PDT,73

3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Bob thanks for the review nicely done, I've been playing with all three digital modes but I agree with you using the Kenwood or Icom radios D-star is much more easily managed. And I'm an old Motorola guy! SEE YOU ON 7155
    K0UO Steve

4. N3HKN

N3HKN Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with your DMR/TYT review. It is a case of a system that is excellent for closly controlled situations such as public safety. You do not want an EMT fiddling with their VFO. However, it is cheap. On the other hand I never considered DStar because it demands a premium price that recovers the vendors costs from a small market. Thus - EXPENSIVE. DMR cost recover was done long ago. We have one DMR repeater for Pittsburgh and it is 50 miles from downtown. There is little reason to have the TYT MD380 except for something to play with (a challenge). I programmed it - codeplugged it. As you say it is a pain, but understandable for a taxi driver since they really can't mess it up. It will soon hit the shelf or eBay!
    Dick N3HKN

5. K6UDA

K6UDA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good to see ya on the board here. 40m being so dead here I haven't been checking in as much lately. De K6UDA

6. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bob, nice job, good topics. I find 40 not that bad with digi modes.....and I'm a low pwr/qrp'er minimalist. You must realize DMR is not really ham radio as much as just communications. It was designed as a commercial system which explains why it works as it does. It also explains the low price for a well built radio. Maybe someone will make a ham oriented radio but considering the potential market it will be expensive even if it happens. More likely someone will rewrite the programming to make it more ham friendly, which has indeed happend with some 'unauthorized' hacks, as the firmware is easy do download and modify if you are willing to risk bricking your radio. On the other hand, used as is it is a good local regional tool for communication between your club members and link to other groups. If you can get a -110dbm signal to the repeater(commercial ) you have a full quieting qso....all for less then $100. Think commercial and not ham and you won't be disappointed. Use it for communication, not 'ham radio'. The right tool for the right job.

Keep up the food work it is valuable information and entertainment for the community.

K3FHP, Dave

KW4TW likes this.
  7. W4FJT

W4FJT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good job as usual. Just got into digital myself with the D74. The DStar infrastructure is impressive. Probably wait on the DMR for now.

The SWR/Watt meter looks nice, nice large display, and built in Taiwan probably a good thing.

8. N2RGA

N2RGA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the review, Now to save up for a MD-2017

9. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Bob -- I agree that programming DMR radios is daunting. Fortunately, some hams over at the PAPA System have several codeplugs for various radios anyone can download. I use their codeplugs and modify them to my liking. The codeplugs have DMR zones for other areas other than So. Cal. I believe they may have some stuff in there to cover your area. I also use the latest versions of the experimental firmware from KK4VCZ which adds several interesting features and greatly increases the number of contacts you can store in the radio. Contact management can be automatically accomplished with this guy's software, WH6AV, which I run on a Raspberry Pi. I suspect its only a matter of time before this stuff gets ported over to the MD-2017.

10. WB2MWB

WB2MWB Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome Bob, Was looking at one of those. Not sure if you know it but TYT is owned by Hytera and so is HYT. great video.

11. KC4TVZ

KC4TVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

How much did that scratchy talkie run you? I like those white and blue buttons, matches my Icom756Pro buttons. Anyway, I am getting a BTech UV-5X3 for $9.89 after a $50 reward card. Been wanting to try one for a while.

73 KC4TVZ Todd

12. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KD5BVX likes this.
  13. KJ4JSN

KJ4JSN Ham Member QRZ Page

With the exception of MFJ products prior to Maby 1999 or so I would have to say now is...... MFJ..... Mighty fine JUNK......

14. KJ4JSN

KJ4JSN Ham Member QRZ Page

Still fighting mental health

N8FGB likes this.