ad: UR5CDX-1

Typing errors jitter

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by F5VHZ, Apr 12, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. F5VHZ

F5VHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello im not a super fast typist and make some spelling errors as we all do. But im so annoyed every time the point where im writing seems to jump up 5 or 6 rows and disappears into text ive allready written.... I fail to understand why this happens, i try and make sure i dont hit a tab or direction button but this seems to be random when i type fast. Also occasionally after typing a 1000 word text it will all suddenly vanish...
    I have had this problem for ages and on different computers.
    Have any of you had this happen or know whats going on?
    My only thought is that some combinations of letters typed so fast equal a different command, like in morse sending ts could be mistaken for a b _ ... Becoming _... Making the keypad processor send the wrong signal to the processor.... Any ideas.?

_

2. AF9US

AF9US Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

F5VHZ:

When this happens to me, it is because one or more of my fingers are touching the touch pad on the lap top. Keeping my fingers off the touch pad clears of the wild action of the cursor.

Yet another point that helps me greatly is to re-home the fingers on my left and right hands to the home position on the keyboard, and to do this periodically - maybe every 5 minutes.

Lastly, correct body position in relation to the keyboard and monitor, as well as, proper resting of the heals of both thumbs and wrists.

All the items above are physical. This final item is mental. Pay attention to how far you are thinking ahead, versus what you hands are typing. Many hams seem to write this way, there are one or more words missing from the "sentence" they wrote. Thinking ahead suddenly becomes what is typed now.

Good writing skills require the writer to read what he or she wrote to make sure their writing says what it is suppose to say.

Slow down, concentrate on good physical position required for touch typing, and re-read your writing at least 3 times - should catch all the typos from flying fingers on the keyboard.

Excellent topic,
    Bernie AF9US

3. F5VHZ

Interesting reply, but i get it on my laptop with a mouse pad built in, and on my standard keyboard... I know i do get thje occasionally as i transition from my 1st finger for the T And my 2nd finger for the H and just clip the J but i have no idear what key could make the writing curser jump back 40 words or so...

4. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had two computers in the past that did this so I know how annoying it is!

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I was fortunate enough to be able to disable the touch pad on my on my laptop, when I usually use a moose[sic:p] for a pointing device. Otherwise, I would often experience similar "jumping" by the cussed cursor. What still bugs me is that I can often hit the "CAPS lock" key, either instead of, or in addition to the "A" key on the laptop keyboard. use of a wireless, (USB) full size keyboard and mouse solves the problem when using the laptop at home.

NK2U likes this.
  6. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

All I can offer is adjust your technique...though that's easier than it sounds: I've been typing for 46 years (and maxed out at 102 cwpm when I was a word processor) but I make the same, stupid mistake every, single time when I type the word, equipment: I type it as equiopment. Somehow, my ringer finger always gets in the way when typing that word...and only that word.

7. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If it is a Windows computer, Try adjusting the speed. That may help.

upload_2020-4-16_18-27-13.png

9. VK4GAP

VK4GAP Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a fast typer and use win7 and don't seem to have the OP's troubles , i never had troubles when i was a slower typer either using 1 finger generally the right hand , using 2 fingers was a significant speed increase though using both hands .

E=Msqrt

10. F5VHZ

Somdo any error correction e very interesting points there, im going to type this and not damm it did it again..
    some very interesting points there, im going to type this and not do any correction. ok i typed that a lot more slowly so im going to try ajusting the keyboard propert ies no i
    the curser just dissapeared again with single finger typing. im going to strip out my shack as im now using two screens and i will reposition the laptop position.

ive had it on top of my oscilloscope most of the time and ive been leazning to the right to type.
    so we will see if this so im going to do all the suggested actions and see if i can get rid of errors. also i also miss type the and often type tyhe instead a very common pccurance whoops there goes another . it must be said that im a fibromyalgia sufferer and my hands suffer so that also is a contributing factor .. also the mouse pad on the laptop does get touched ive just noticed withe the laptop down in front of me,( thats where im typing now) my right thumb can tap the pad ...
    I love typing fast and tyhats there goes that Y again and perhaps i ought to re learn how to type as i only use three of my fingers on each hand ( two plus the thumb ) how many fingers should i be using ?
    colin