type of pipe to use for ground mounted vertical support

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KU7I, Apr 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KU7I

KU7I Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking to upgrade the current main support pipes that are supporting my phased verticals. This is the pipe that goes into the ground about 4 feet and then the mounts connect to this. Currently using gas pipe purchased at the local Ace Hardware but wondering if this is adequate in the long run for three 43 foot verticals. I am thinking this is a soft alloy? The current diameter I am using is quite small since the original project was going to be on a much smaller scale. Anyways, looking for recommendations on 2 inch diameter pipe that could be procured at the local Lowe's or Ace Hardware. This will be be direct bury. Thank you. Lane Ku7i

2. AJ6O

AJ6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I use either 1 1/2" chainlink fence pipe or 1 /1/2" emt conduit. I wrap 2" black rubber tape that is used on plumbing pipes, on the end that will be in contact with either the dirt or cement. Rigid conduit is the best but is also way overkill for ground mounted verticals.

NH7RO and N0TZU like this.
  3. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

Deleted

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  4. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

Deleted...

5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

6. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I run 2” OD/0.250” wall DOM tubing. It’s seamless, (drawn over mandrel) and intended for structural applications. You might get lucky using conduit but, I’m not lucky when it comes to that kind of stuff so I use the right materials and over engineer things a bit.

WZ7U likes this.
  7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

NPS dimensions are listed in the table I linked to here: http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,124576.msg1119753.html :)

8. KU7I

KU7I Ham Member QRZ Page

Wat is DOM tubing?

Lane
    Ku7i

9. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Its a manufacturing process.

Drawn over mandrel.

Now exactly what alloy was drawn over that mandrel ?

Rege

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Silly putty is easy to draw over a mandrel, I use that.:p:)

Actually, thickwall galvanized steel gas/water pipe for this application probably works fine if it's large enough diameter. 2" should be good. This stuff has pretty good galvanizing and should last a long time even buried; the "main feed" for water to my home (built in 1957) was this stuff and it finally failed after 50 years, now replaced with copper; but when they dug it up, it actually only ruptured in one location -- probably years of stress from earthquakes and such -- but wasn't really rusty (yet).

I wouldn't use it for a long antenna mast (weight to strength ratio isn't so great) but for something buried 4' in the ground with only a foot or so exposed to clamp an antenna isn't so demanding.

WZ7U likes this.