Type-Certificated HF Amplifiers from China?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KK5JY, May 25, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KK5JY

    KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    I was asked by a local ham about buying a Chinese-designed and -manufactured solid-state amplifier for sale on Ebay. That person didn't tell me which one, but I tend to follow the HF equipment news, and I don't recall seeing any Chinese amplifiers that have received type acceptance certification in the US.

    Does anybody know if there are any type-accepted HF amplifiers for amateur use that are sourced from China? Without that, it would appear that importing a non-type-accepted RF amplifier is a violation of at least Part 97:

    §97.315 Certification of external RF power amplifiers. (a) Any external RF power amplifier (see §2.815 of the FCC Rules) manufactured or imported for use at an amateur radio station must be certificated for use in the amateur service in accordance with subpart J of part 2 of the FCC Rules.

    I tried finding a list of type-accepted HF amplifiers, but I haven't had any luck yet. Does anybody know of a Chinese brand that is street-legal in the US?
  2. K9STH

    K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

    As an individual, you can acquire at least 3 of such amplifiers for personal use whether or not they have been certificated by the FCC. However, you cannot commercially sell such amplifiers that have not been certificated.

    You are responsible for meeting the technical requirements contained in 47 CFR Part 97 where spurious emissions, etc., are concerned. As an individual, you do not have to adhere to the gain restrictions, etc.

    Glen, K9STH
    KX4BW and KK5JY like this.
  3. WB2WIK

    WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

    ^I agree.

    As long as the manufacturer is shipping from China to private parties in the U.S., I don't think there's any way to stop that. If they open a retail business in America and attempt to distribute non-certificated product here, I believe that will be a problem.
    KK5JY likes this.
  4. K9STH

    K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

    And it would be illegal for an individual to purchase a quantity (over 3) of the amplifiers and then sell them in this country. That would be considered a commercial outlet.

    Glen, K9STH
    KK5JY likes this.

Share This Page