tying off ropes and leaving a long lead

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N3DT, Nov 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I get tired of trying to untie these loops I make in ropes when I want to leave a long tail piece on the rope. Isn't there some device that is like one of those flagpole thingies that you loop the rope around so it's easy to undo and still remains where you looped it? But I need one that's not attached to a flagpole or tree or whatever. It would have a hole in it so it can just be hooked over another rope, caribiner or clip so there's easy access without getting the pliers out to undo the knots I tie in the loops after they've set for a year and get tight as the dickens. Also sometimes mess up the rope trying to get the knots loose. I'm talking about these 1/8, 3/16 or 1/4" kelvar/dacron ropes I use to hang wire antennas.

I've been looking but really can't find it.

2. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I use cleats w/ double-braided Nylon rope. The cleats come in various styles, sizes, & materials. Everyone has 'em. :)

3. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

If you're talking about those 'winged' cleats that attach to a bulkhead, flagpole, etc. that's nice if you have something to fasten it to, but if I'm dropping a line down from a tree and don't have something to attach that cleat to (and I'm not going to screw a cleat to a tree), I'm kinda out of luck. I want a cleat that has a different method of attachment to another rope, caribiner, or hook and will still hold the rope. I suppose I could attach the cleat to a 2x4 and tie the 2x4 to the tree with a rope.

Actually I'd like to attach the 'cleat' to a rock or weight to keep the line taught without fastening it firmly to something.

4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Use your imagination. I attached cleats to 1-1/2" pipe (1.90" OD) using stainless steel worm-drive hose clamps. To prevent the screw from galling & seizing, I used a hobby syringe to apply anti-seize.

Consider attaching a cleat to a plate, and gluing/etc to the object of support. Hint: polyurethane glue is VERY strong and cures with moisture. It can be removed w/ a knife/etc. :)

5. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, since I mentioned the 2x4, I may just attach a HD cleat to one and drill a hole in the 2x4 at the bottom to attach another rope to tie to the weight. That may actually work. Or I've got some aluminum plate I could attach the cleat too, that may be better. Not sure I'd trust glue but yeah, a pipe and hose clamps may work too.

6. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I’ve attached eye bolts and cleats to trees and it didn’t seem to cause any issues. Just don’t use copper nails.

The soil auger type anchors with an eye in the top work good depending on the soil type. Sand is not so good.

Fill a big flower pot with concrete with a wire loop or eye bolt stuck into the concrete. If you leave some space on top you can plant you favorite flowers or herbs in there too.

Get a marble statue of Ben Franklin flying a kite and let him hold the rope.

K9ZMD and NH7RO like this.
  7. KM6YCJ

KM6YCJ Ham Member QRZ Page

NiteIze makes somethings that might work: CamJam and Figure 9.

https://www.niteize.com/collection/Tie-Downs-and-Bungees.asp

Home Depot sells them.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Hardwar...-5&Ns=P_REP_PRC_MODE|0&experienceName=default

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Hardwar...-5&Ns=P_REP_PRC_MODE|0&experienceName=default

8. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I can find all sorts of weight material stuff around here. Plenty of quartz in any size you care to find laying around on the ground from pebbles to 30 pounders. Some of them even come looking like large cobblestones, only white. Some even look like good clear quartz. I even use cement blocks and bricks. The local brick yard let me take a whole lot of left over/damaged bricks. No problems with the weights, I just need a way to fasten the middle of a rope to the weights without permanent knots. Not sure I'd trust those cam devices or the barbed hook things. I've even thought about trying to make something myself out of aluminum as a sort of cleat with a hole to attach weights to. All the ends of my antennas are weighted without being permanently tied off to a fixed point. As far as screwing things into trees, I tried that and the tree eventually grows over the hook, not a good plan. I now tie loose ropes around the trees at a convenient height to tie things to, but not as a permanent tie off, just to fasten hooks and caribiners to hold ropes and as a point to attach short ropes to keep the weights from swinging all over the place. Chain repair links make good hooks that are easy to fasten ropes through also, sort of a cheap caribiner.

9. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You know, come to think of it I do have some rope grips laying around. I look for them tomorrow and send a photo if I can find them.

10. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't tie them. If there's any tension on the rope, you don't need to. Just pass it around the tree and under itself, so that the tight rope going up to the antenna is pinching the loose part you just wrapped around the tree. Now just loop, or tie, the loose part a couple times around any convenient twig, in case it all comes loose. Mine never have. The friction between the tree bark and the rough rope holds it all pretty well. Sort of a variant of the clove hitch, or the timber hitch.

KA0HCP likes this.