TxTopper Full QRP Gallon Amplifier

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KB1KIX, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KB1KIX

KB1KIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Neat little QRP amp (I know, sounds like an oxymoron...) But, will get that little 1 watter up to a full 5.

http://www.w5usj.com/TxTopperQRPAmp.html

I had fun telling everyone at Boxboro that I bought a new amp, and pulling this kit out of my pocket.

Rex at qrpme.com says he will be putting these on his site soon.

If prices stay as they were at Boxboro, 25 bucks for the square circuit board, 30 for the round tuna-tin board (for those that want matching "tuna twins".

Looking forward to this one.

[​IMG]

Jonathan

2. K9FV

K9FV Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a neat little amp - I'd like to build it. I think it would be GREAT to go with the SoftRock TXRX project..

I didn't see where to order the PCB board - Is that $25 for the bare PCB board?

I'd like to make the board, but have only etched single sided boards. Thanks for the link and info.

73 de Ken H>
    K9FV

3. KB1KIX

I paid 25 for the whole kit, board and all!

Couldn't resist the fun of this little kit.

SoftRock, now that might be a neat little combination. I've wanted to get one, but lack of a real online presence (online store) has kept me away.

There is a demand for the kit, Tony should just kit it up and make an online store like the rest of 'em.

OK, I really want one!

As far as the amp goes, Rex said he was going to put it on his site soon. I'm sure if you send him an email, he'll set something up for you.

Really nice guy,

Jonathan

4. K9FV

K9FV Ham Member QRZ Page

I just sent Rex a msg - hope to hear from him soon.

On the SoftRock kits - You are correct, there is VERY little info on the web about these. The BEST by far building info is located at: http://golddredgervideo.com/wb5rvz/
    for folks like me to need ALL the help possible. I ordered the $10 receiver only - just to get started in the SMD construction... I'm just not sure about those itty bitty tiny parts - "IF" I can make the receiver work, then my next step will be the full TXRX. Those are getting pretty interesting.

There is also a website Tony is getting started: http://www.softrockradio.org/

73 de Ken H>

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  5. K9FV

K9FV Ham Member QRZ Page

Jonathan, I just ordered the Amp kit - thanks for posting the link.

Let me know if you are more interested in the SoftRock kits - I just got the RX Softrock kit yesterday.

73 de Ken H.

6. AB1GA

AB1GA Ham Member QRZ Page

I just can't bring myself to like the name. There's something wrong about anything QRP being referred to as a "full gallon".

A full gallon is now 1500W PEP.
    The amplifier is 5W PEP or 1/300th as big.
    A gallon is 128 fluid ounces, so we're looking for something about 1/3 to 1/2 fluid ounce.

The Tablespoon!

:)

7. K9FV

K9FV Ham Member QRZ Page

Since the *Full Gallon* for QRO is 1500 watts, I guess it means the *Full Gallon* for QRP is 5 watts?

Understand, while I do have a couple (3??) QRP rigs - I do like a bit more power - when I press the paddle, I like someone to hear me.

With a 5 watt to a compromise antenna my ERP is well less than 5 watts.... Just doesn't seem the same as when I talk with someone who say "I'm QRP at 5 watts" into a 5 element Yagi at 70 ft - his ERP is over a 100 watts.... more than when I'm running 100 watts into the compromise antenna.... who is the *real* QRP station?

Yea, I know - I'm just jealous of big antennas.

73 de Ken H>

8. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Cute lil feller. With the mosfet output stage it won't go into thermal runaway on ya, either.

I'm looking for projects like this for my ham class.

eric

9. KB1KIX

Umm... the full limit per your license is 1500W. Full limit for QRP is 5W, so.... 5 watts is a full gallon!

It is a neat project though.

Now, I'm thinking I might want at least one more for another project.

Neat little amp to bring a 1W wonder to a full gallon!

Jonathan

10. KV1M

KV1M Guest

From teaspoon to tablespoon... :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.