TX5K Clipperton Island 2013

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WA6MHZ, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They are on the SAME Slow boat headed back here to San Diego. If I was RETIRED, I could go down to the WHARF and meet the boat when it came back in!

2. NM9K

NM9K Ham Member QRZ Page

So ClubLog says I got the time wrong for my phone QSO with TX5K. I emailed the guy who is handling QSL requests, but I suspect he's bombarded.

Really hoping he replies, though, as I'd really prefer to get the phone contact on my QSL and not just the RTTY one that I had (which does show up).

Both QSOs come up under a search for my call sign, but I can't order a QSL card unless I can confirm the time, which the website assures me that my logbook time is wrong.

3. N8HM

N8HM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Saw some joker on the cluster yesterday say they worked them on 160 using remote receivers in W6 and W7....

4. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's not FAIR!!! If U don't hear them on YOUR radio, it shouldn't count for DXCC!

I could hear them fine, they just heard everyone else but me. But I finally prevailed and got through when no one else was calling. Of course, trying to put a Kilowatt on 160 into a 40-10M Vertical isn't exactly a good idea, but it worked. Never mind the 7 or 10 to 1 SWR! a Few milliwatts squeaked out!

Oh, I was ALSO the NUMBER ONE DX HOG in the San Diego DX Club on this DXpediton, which is amazing since I was going up against guys with Massive antennas, and retired folks. I only had a coupla hours after and before work to mess with working them.

5. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agree with MHZ...this should not be worth anything...it wouldn't be, to me anyway. But at least they transmitted from their home qth!! Supposedly.

6. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

There was a discussion recently in which some folks said they have made qsos from other people's stations using their own call and saw nothing wrong with that.

the scenario of working through a remote station is no different.

7. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Whatever floats their boat, I guess....I would feel like I cheated, that's all. Doing it using somebody else's station is like cybersex, non-alcoholic beer, or decaffienated coffee. Pointless. :p

8. KF5RYJ

KF5RYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anybody know if TX5K is going to upload to LOTW? Their webpage doesn't mention it (only OQRS/ClubLog).

9. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Quoted from http://www.cordell.org/CI/CI_pages/CI_News.html

15 October 2012

The March, 2013 DXpedition to Clipperton Island has received the callsign TX5K to be used during the operation. With the addition of Luis XE1L, Dave WJ20, and Giovanni I5JHW, the team has 23 members. One space remains available for another operator, scientist, or other supporter who wishes to join the DXpedition.
    We are proud to announce that the QSL manager will be Bob N2OO. Offsite team member Dean N7XG is developing new software to help automate some of the operations at the QSL manager and his team.

The expedition will use DXA, the system that enables real-time web display of the log data, first used on Kure Atoll K7C 2005, to provide confirmation of valid QSOs in about 1 minute after they are made. We will also make use of ClubLog and LotW."

So yes, it appears the logs will be uploaded to LoTW eventually. Very good operation I might add.

73/DX, Mike K2CD

10. KF5RYJ

KF5RYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. I got 'em five times and each QSO was smooth. I saw their upload to Club Log and was surprised that they didn't show up in LOTW. I checked the webpage, but I guess I didn't see where the above was posted (perhaps in a blog or update section?). I only looked at the QSL section. I guess I need to work on my reading comprehension. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.