TX5K Clipperton Island 2013

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WA6MHZ, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2ADV

N2ADV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Finally got 17 RTTY in the log. Only took 4 hours....

2. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's hard to be too confident about this. Sure, for us here in the US, it's almost embarrassing to call Clipperton "DX" because of its proximity. So for US hams its easy enough to get into the log, but I'm sure there were plenty of people in more distant parts of the world for whom it posed a legitimate challenge (i.e., where distance itself was a factor, and not just breaking through all the jammers and cops).

3. NM9K

NM9K Ham Member QRZ Page

Went to someone else's QTH and worked them on 10m SSB and 17m RTTY. Couldn't even hear them from my house. The pileups were pretty crazy.

4. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

According to their website, they weren't doing 160,80,40,15,12 or 10M RTTY!
    I am sure I worked them on 10 but not so per the DXA. I also thought I saw them on 40 RTTY working EU. Wonder if anyone else has worked them on 40 or 10 RTTY? Swept away 20RTTY a little while ago. So, looks like the only bandmode I am SOL on is 75 Phone!

5. W9JEF

W9JEF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I really lucked out early Wednesday morning. It was 6:31 a.m. (1231Z) got'm on the first try with 100 W into my new 30 meter half-wave skirt-fed grounded vertical. I was one of the last contacts before TX5K went QRT. Early Thursday morning I got on 40 CW. It was a rat race. I favor being in the middle of the pile (up about 4 kc), figuring that they tune across it going both ways. Right before calling, I hit TFC, and try to squeeze between the others. After about an hour (he was mostly coming back to J's), at 3:29 a.m. (0929Z), I'm finally rewarded by hearing my own call, followed by the obligatory "5NN." Was running 400 watts (or so) into my 80 meter turnstile with the 4 feeders tied together as a top-loaded cage vertical. Listened on 80 and 160 both Thursday and Friday, heard nil but terrible QRN, and very few signals. Can't blame the guys for sometimes shunning their back yard in favor of some real DX.

6. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Traditionally I have avoided RTTY like the plague. It's a mode that never appealed to me. BUT, today it got the better of me as I tried to make a QSO with the expedition on RTTY. HRD reportedly has some bugs in it regarding true FSK and I have avoided trying it. But, my rig has true FSK built in, so I figured, "what the heck?" It's been so long since I tried it that I still had my old call in the memory banks. I changed calls in 2009!

Turns out it was pretty easy!! I bagged them on 20 and 17 earlier today RTTY and sorry I haven't tried till now. I have them all band-modes 80 through 10 CW and SSB except for 75 SSB, so nice to get them on RTTY for a couple of bands.

Next time I'll know better!!

7. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

No luck for me from my QTH with only 100 watts.

8. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Still no info on how to ORQS the QSL. On the TX5K website, it states they are using CLUBLOG which is NOT True. The method of accessing the OQRS is not correct. Wonder if anyone has found a way to QSL them other than mailing to N2OO?

9. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I looked them up on clublog it said they hadn't downloaded yet.

10. NM9K

NM9K Ham Member QRZ Page

Was wondering that myself. I'm going to wait a week; I figure uploading all those files from a remote island might be difficult.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.