ad: M2Ant-1

TX5K Clipperton Island 2013

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WA6MHZ, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

http://www.cordell.org/CI/CI_pages/CI_Overview.html

The operators are on a fishing boat headed that way! Says it will begin in March so either they will be EARLY or it is a MIGHTY Slow boat!

Looks like they have a very diverse team from many many nations. Team seems to be headed by Bob KK6EK.

Now I see the QRV is on Feb 28th and goes through March 10th. The boat left San Diego yesterday. They have a rig on the air along the way, posted now as K6K/MM on 20CW & SSB.

This, of course, is about as EASY a DX as U can get for SoCal, so it will be a contest to see how many bandmodes our DXers can rack up. Not too long a time there, so will hafta work fast. I need mainly CW and RTTY contacts, and 40 & 75 would be nice too. Should be easy for the rest of the country too. But with a heavy contigent of EU ops, they will most likely be giving the REST of the world considerable attention.

That IS a slow boat!!! maybe they will be fishing along the way, trolling for Tuna and Wahoo and maybe Marlin. So THAT is why it is taking 10 days to get there!!! They will have plenty of Fish to eat , thats for sure! We have long range trips out of San Diego all the time down to there, and it sure doesn't take 10 days to get there. Usually about 2 or 3 days max!

So hope they aren't too worn out after a 10 day boat ride and all that PULLING on fish to bring them in! The ops will SURE be qualified as fishermen by the time they get to TX5K!

2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

3. N9ZMO

N9ZMO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I need them, so hope to be able to have time to work them. Could well be in the midst of moving at that time if the home sale we have going works out.

4. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The idiots in our hobby are having fun (I Guess) spotting them on the cluster. Funny how some people choose to spend their time on the radio, maybe it's their way of warming up prior to being able to QRM an operation? Perhaps the ARRL should have a fund to help the mentally disturbed in our hobby:confused:

5. VA6AW

VA6AW Ham Member QRZ Page

I just worked K6K/MM on 20 cw. Good operator and sigs were 599. Thats about as close I'm going to get to working them anytime soon with my 100 w and a inverted vee. Should be a good pileup.

Gary VA6AW

6. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I might have to give it a try...

7. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Fortunately, most West Coasters already have Clipperton on many bands and modes due to the frequent DXpeditions to there. I think I have 40-10 SSB already confirmed, so I will be concentrating on CW and RTTY. I expect the heaviest pileups to be from EU and JAs.

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I worked K6K/MM on 20 CW last evening. Really strong considering it's a pretty short path, they were near Cabo San Lucas or so.

Clipperton is a 9-iron shot from here, so I don't think I need it on any band except six meters. But it's a scientific expedition with ham radio as kind of a secondary thing, and hope they enjoy it!

9. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

So did I, and they were really pounding in for so short a path.

Kind of fun they were working from the boat.

Bill

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Worked K6K/MM again tonight on 17m CW, very strong indeed.

But also not very far. When they land on Clipperton, they still won't be very far from here...I could drive that distance.

But good luck to all those who need it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.