ad: portazero-1

TX Factor looks at the new Icom-705

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G0FGX, Aug 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed, surprised its not very noticed here. Sure would like to know if they are working on other radios with sdr receivers. would be a cool option for the 991a

2. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm interested in the tap board. Just not yet. Got a couple of more months before I can attempt an install. Will be nice having another SDR hooked up to another monitor for sure.

3. N1IPU

While I don't have a 7300 this mod has gotten me thinking of buying one. I popped them and email asking if they are considering other radios but haven't heard back. Even if its a solder in mod it would be worth it.

W5CJA likes this.
  4. K2FI

K2FI Ham Member QRZ Page

But different people value different things. I'm a big fan of my IC-706Mk2 and my FT-817nd, but my favorite current radio is the MTR3B (the original, not the one with the LCD). None of them are waterproof, but I use them all portable.

I'm probably not the target market for this rig; I'd be more likely to get a KX2 or KX3 if I got another radio. But it's a big hobby!

5. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just to prove the point of the diversity of interests: Every single 'bell and whistle' on this radio are things that I will use. I will eventually buy this radio, but I'm not going to shell out the money for it now when it will probably not actually ship until October. There is also a chance for a price decrease after a while, and for added features through firmware updates. Both things certainly happened with the IC-9700.

Some will not be able to understand why I would buy a radio for WiFi, Bluetooth, and a touchscreen. I drive a (relatively new) car with manual locks, manual windows, and a manual transmission. I cannot for life of me see why anyone would pay thousands of dollars more for the version with the power everything.

K2FI likes this.
  6. K2ORS

K2ORS Ham Member QRZ Page

Your wife made you say that?

KI7DAX, AJ5TT, WC5P and 1 other person like this.
  7. WB6DJI

WB6DJI Ham Member QRZ Page

Well
    For a Portable Rig with a Scope for RFI locating, it good it covers such a wide band to use with my
    Portable Magnetic Loop for finding RF interference
    Mike
    WB6DJI
    FF8B2366-CA44-4972-B552-3FE8CB1EF2D6.jpeg

8. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey David!
    I have one of these and would be willing to let go of it! I'll even bring it up to your QTH because I've business at CLT.;););)

73 sir!

(Wait for it folks.I can FEEEEEL David melting)

G3SEA and W5CJA like this.
  9. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Straight up truth sir! Good call! In fact, KG5CJA saved me from jumping on THIS bandwagon! Never even considered his great points!

73 sir!

W5CJA likes this.
  10. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Handhelds with wide band receive would fill this role as well. Plus, they're cheaper, smaller, and arguably more durable in some cases. The FT3DR is one that comes to mind. The Kenwood equivalent even receives SSB. They may not have a scope, but that's easy to get around.

11. N1IPU

Good point. Also if they can make boards small enough to fit in these chassis why not a HF handheld? Maybe our overlords at ARRL should start some sort of X prize for things like that.

12. K2FI

K2FI Ham Member QRZ Page

If I'm melting it's only because Charlotte is too hot for human existence :D

13. VE4MM

VE4MM Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought and paid for one from HRO last week. I was on the wait list.
    You have to support the manufacturers in this dying hobby.
    Most hams are cheap. I did well in life, so I support many manufacturers so they stick around.
    Too many hams are complainers as well.
    Never happy with anything. Pretty pathetic.

WB4NQF, K8HIT, W4NLT and 2 others like this.
  14. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Niche market... if you add this with the soon to be released Icom IC-PW2 amplifier you would have a pretty powerful desktop too. Not a niche market if people take time to educate themselves before bashing the hell out of something or a company. Icom thought this out really well.

WB4NQF likes this.
  15. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm holding out for the Real Deal

[​IMG]

AJ6KZ likes this.