ad: Flexradio-1

Two YouTube Hams Interview Each Other Over HF - The way it should be.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Jun 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Kevin Loughin KB9RLW (The Old Tech Guy) and Dave Casler KE0OG (Ham Radio Answers!) have possibly for the first time ever conducted an over the air interview with each other.

Kevin Loughin's KB9RLW's Video

Dave Casler's KE0OG Video -

W7GG, KD2PHM, N8QZH and 1 other person like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Uhhhh. We do NOT broadcast. Be careful here.....

N7KO, WJ1MK, NU4R and 3 others like this.
  3. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

You Tube, the new Idiots Bible.

K1BQY, WJ1MK, N9AMI and 4 others like this.
  4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You guys will give me hell about this one!!!
    And I think we're still entitled to opinion in this country but maybe not.
    I just have one question to ask first. With all the YouTube ham radio news and information and so-called videos online, who finds time to make an actual on the air contact??? Looking at their likes and subscribers, I guess a lot of people spend most of their day watching these YouTube videos instead of having QSOs and getting on air and using ham radio for communications, I don't know???? So how many hours do you hams spend watching these things every week??
    Looking at the number of subscribers and the length of these videos anybody can do the math and there's a whole lot of time being spent watching these things.

Don't get me wrong, I watch some of the news and information videos too. But I don't get too wound up in them, I sure would rather be talking to somebody on the air. And practicing the art of ham radio, even with poor band conditions I still find plenty of people on the air to talk to each day that are very enjoyable.
    By the way I think one video was 35 or 40 minutes and the other one was even longer, I did not watch them.
    I just opened them up and saw how long they were, so I'm not wasting my time watching instead I'm answering a CQ on 40 right now! For real.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    N7KO, K4AGO, WQ4G and 4 others like this.
  5. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Real grey area potential here. Sooner or later someone's going to test the ice and find it's very thin.

NU4R and K0UO like this.
  6. ZL1MY

ZL1MY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Come on your not serious.... take it for what it is, two hams having a Qso and asking questions about what they do.
    As for time being spent on watching these... yep I do spend a little time some weeks but in all honesty if it wasn't for people like these guys I wouldn't get out portable and have contacts myself. Can only run portable and now due to the wx here (winter) I don't have the up and go but while browsing a few youtube vids it gets me off my backside and transmitting!
    It is what it is.

KM4OPK, KB7TBT, N3VQH and 1 other person like this.
  7. W5MIL

W5MIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Would be great if a ham who is proficient in solar science came on YouTube every so often with a translation of the current solar forecast.
    "After reading and watching 30 minutes of solar science BS, I can tell you that the bands will suck for the next two weeks with occasional openings on 20, 40 and 80 meters."

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Youtube pays royalties for play.

If the ham 'interview' was a priori established with the intent of delivering it to a paying medium, for compensation, then this is a violation of Part 97.

Read the law. Don't argue whether I am aware of it. Thanks.

KD5OM, N7KO, WJ1MK and 4 others like this.
  9. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good morning Jeff!
    It was indeed tested in Orlando FL during the Riley Hollingsworth era...and Riley won.
    73 sir !
    Greg

W1YW and WN1MB like this.
  10. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You're spot on Mr Chip! And, in the Orlando, FL area during the Riley Hollingsworth era, this was indeed brought to a head and...the hams lost!
    73!
    Greg

W1YW and WN1MB like this.
  11. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There is and "she's not too bad to watch"
    And she keeps it around 5 minutes Google it here on qrz you'll find it, Screenshot_20190618-095130_Chrome.jpg then use the information and go make some contacts

KB2QQM likes this.
  12. KB2QQM

KB2QQM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been a Patreon supporter of Kevin for quite awhile. I love his channel and the content. He actually got me started in 3D printing and making magnetic loop antennas! Remember when, a long time ago when Hams actually use to build gear and experiment. It’s always fun to see what we can build next. Kevin’s channel is informative and entertaining. Every month is an adventure. Thank you for the Linux content too. Check him out!

Greg KB2QQM

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    N3ZPC and N5VHT like this.
  13. KB2QQM

KB2QQM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave’s YouTube content on Amateur Radio also helped me teach my first ever Amateur Radio class to local homeschool kids. It would have been impossible for me to succeed without his video series. Easy to understand for beginners and he has a knack for information transfer. Thanks Dave !

Greg KB2QQM

W1YW and N5VHT like this.
  14. KB9RLW

KB9RLW Ham Member QRZ Page

It was a conversation. Just a chat, as I state in my title. Others have decided to use another term.

W7GG, N4WLC, N3ZPC and 2 others like this.
  15. KB9RLW

KB9RLW Ham Member QRZ Page

As I said in my title, this was just a chat, a conversation. Others applied a different label.

W7GG and AG5DB like this.