Two thumbs up for SolarEdge and SEMPower for coming out to fix my RFI issues!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KN4DQE, Jun 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. KN4DQE

KN4DQE Ham Member QRZ Page

There have been countless articles about solar causing RFI. Mine was no exception. I have a SolarEdge system that uses optimizers. I got this before I got into amateur radio, and it definitely made using the radio during the day impossible.

I've been working with TJ Simpson from SolarEdge (contact info: tom.simpson@solaredge.com / 510-498-3262). Tom has coordinated ordering LOTS of ferrite, in addition to new SolarEdge optimizers that use spread-spectrum technology to help with reducing the overall RFI.

They are working on replacing the optimizers and adding the ferrite as I am writing this. The test will come once they are completed! I will post an update and let everyone know how it goes. For those in the central FL area, I can't say enough about SEMPower as well - they have been a fantastic company to deal with!!

Inked0627190740a_LI.jpg

KU4X, N0TZU, KV6O and 2 others like this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good to hear. Let us know how it all works out.

3. KN4DQE

KN4DQE Ham Member QRZ Page

So I didn't take a screenshot of what things looked like before, but the bands looked similar to NK7Z's screenshot seen here (lots of nasty large spikes):
    https://www.nk7z.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Solar-Panel-Noise-Noon-21817.jpg

I took screenshots of what things looked like after they had the system powered down (what should be considered a baseline):
    20m before:
    20m before.png

40m before:
    40m Before.png

And here is after they completed their work:

20m after:
    20m after.png

40m after:
    40m after.png

I still have issues with 2 PoE cameras (that's where all of those thin spikes are coming from). I tried a ton of ferrite on the line near the cameras, but it only marginally helped. Not sure what to try next, but if I can get those tamed, my spectrum is pretty damn good for where I am at.

WA4SIX, N0TZU and KP4SX like this.