ad: AlphaRF-1

Two-Factor Hell

Discussion in 'Community Help Center' started by WW2PT, Feb 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

So I wiped my iPad last week and started fresh. Now I’m still able to log into QRZ on the iPad, but for some reason my desktop Mac now asks me to enter the two-factor security code. When I reinstalled and launched the Google Authenticator app on the iPad, it asks me for my account name (that’s easy) and “Key.” That’s where I get stuck—where do I find this “Key” they demand?

All I really want to do is turn the Two-Factor Authentication OFF! But I can’t do that without two-factor authentication. It’s like a government program—once it’s starts, you can never stop it! Lol!

Any advice from the gurus?

73 de ww2pt . .

2. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

key is the 6 digit code displayed in the authenticatur app.

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You can turn off 2FA at any time if you want to: just click on on your call sign in the top right, then scroll to "Two Factor Authentication" and turn it off.

Easy peasy.

It's NOT required to use this site - it's a darn good safety feature though - especially if you ever sell stuff in the Swap Meet. But it's not required

Dave
    W7UUU

4. WW2PT

Except it’s the Authenticator app that’s asking me for the key. That’s where I’m stuck—I don’t know what that is, and I don’t remember how I set this app up the first time.

Tried that. It asked me for my Authentication Code:

53AFE7BE-033F-40A7-A861-A306ACCB0F0B.png

...but the Authenticator app won’t give me an Authentication Code until I enter a Key:

69E8E269-95EB-4D1D-BBF2-C07684204D31.jpeg

Around and around we go.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The "code" is the 6 digit number spit out by the Authenticator.

You have to use it "one last time" to turn off 2FA.

So gear up to do it, pull the 6 digit "code", and enter it.

Then turn off the 2FA from there.

Try that and see if that works....

Dave
    W7UUU

6. WW2PT

I get that. Maybe I’m not describing the problem clearly.

There is no “code” until I enter a “key.”

Where do I get a “key” to enter into the Authenticator app in order to complete the Authenticator setup?

This is a new installation of the Authenticator app. All of my old settings were wiped.

7. W7UUU

Gotcha - unfortunately I don't use Authenticator - I use my cell phone.

But hoping someone who DOES use Authenticator will chime in with the proper procedure.

Worst case, email support@qrz.com and explain the situation. I actually just checked to see if my privileges are sufficient to "turn off 2FA" on your account but alas, all I can do is see that you have it on - but there is no provision for me (even with my limited Admin privileges) to switch it off so you can start over.

Sorry I can't be of more help :(

Dave
    W7UUU

8. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you go into the two factor authentication here on the QRZ, it will show you the QRZ 2 factor menu barcode for setup.

In authenticator click add, click scan a barcode, finish setup. Now you will have the six digit code you need to turn off two factor auth.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    W7UUU likes this.
  9. KE0TXD

KE0TXD Ham Member QRZ Page

I used my phone number to authenticate. Now I had to change my number and what do you know, I need that number to deactivate the authentication.

WW2PT likes this.
  10. WW2PT

There is no barcode. Just a message saying two factor is active.