ad: GNOHF-1

"Two-Factor Authentication" saved my bacon!!

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by W7UUU, May 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4XJ

K4XJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I say if someone is gonna sell something on QRZ they should show their C.S.C.E. in the photo of what they are selling. The reason for this is that only you, the VE team and the ARRL has a copy of your C.S.C.E.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

2FA will be required in QRZ Swap Meet beginning June 1 (with non-2FA getting a "caution banner") and mandatory starting July 1.

Thread with full details on this change is here:

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/verified-member-status-requirement-coming.658941/

Dave
    W7UUU

N0TZU likes this.
  3. KS4W

KS4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Some of us were licensed before the VE program existed. I've never been issued a C.S.C.E.

WD4IGX and NZ4X like this.
  4. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Mmmmmm Bacon

KD8DEY, W7UUU and WC5P like this.
  5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you save your bacon and eat it too? :p

6. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

Two factor authentication can save your bacon sometimes, but other times it can make things exceedingly difficult. Have a plan for what you'll do if your phone is lost, stolen, or accidentally destroyed.

Some types of authentication work by sending a plain text message to your registered phone number, so all you need to do is get a new phone with the same old number. Others use a special encryption-enabled app on your phone, so it's not enough to get a new phone with the same number.

Some services have alternate ways of accessing them, but you may need to set things up in advance. Look up the details for the services that are important to you.

Imagine getting robbed while travelling and losing your phone and credit cards. Will you be in a situation where you can't get a new phone without money, but can't get access to your money without your phone?

I'm not suggesting to avoid two factor authentication, just to be careful how you use it.

WD4IGX, W8LV and W7UUU like this.
  7. W8LV

W8LV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What Is don't get about two factor authentication is:
    What happens if your phone breaks? Wouldn't you just be flat out SOL then?

8. SM0XHJ

SM0XHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That depends on what type of two factor authentication is being used.
    If you use one-time SMS codes then obviously your are in trouble if you no longer have access to the phone number you registered.
    But with Google Authenticator, that I use with QRZ, you can save a screen shot of the private key that is generated during setup (it looks like a QR code).
    You can print that on a small piece of paper and use that to install Google Authenticator on another Android device. You can use any phone, Google Authenticator is not bound to your phone number.

9. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Some of them are actually very hard for humans.

I hate the new photo ones nearly as bad as it can be hard to tell if the corner of that thing-they're-asking-about does or doesn't quite make it into that adjacent square.

10. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't even know what the hell a C.S.C.E is - Certificate of Successful Completion of Exam?

I took my last ham exam in the early 90s. I damn sure do not have that any more.