Two antennas, one trunk lid?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by AK4BM, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. AK4BM

AK4BM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am thinking about putting two antennas on my trunk lid (2003 Ford Focus). I currently have a 2m/70cm on one corner, and am considering putting my ATAS 120 on the other corner.

The SBB-5 (dualband) will be connected to the my 8800, and the ATAS to an 857. One will be off while the other is in use....

Will there be trouble between the two?

Thanks

AK4BM

2. KJ6EZQ

KJ6EZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

It depends on the frequency you're operating, but I would guess not. If this is the best solution for your antenna arrangement, then I would just go for it and see how it does.

3. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Shouldn't be a problem, at least never caused a problem for me. Heck, ever looked in the parking lot at Dayton? 2 antennas on the trunk is like a six pack of beer, a starter kit.

4. NY7N

NY7N Ham Member QRZ Page

In the past I have had a cut down CB whip for 10m on one side of the trunk and a 144/440 on the other, never seemed to cause me any trouble.

5. KD0NZL

KD0NZL Ham Member QRZ Page

thats awesome, whenever i see a guy with several antennas, i say to myself "he must be a ham, but with that many antennas, he is no amateur"
    ;)

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No problems at all.

But the ATAS120 works better when it's higher up on the vehicle and has a fantastic connection to as much of the automobile's sheet metal as possible. If the trunk lid is the only place you can put it, it's better than no antenna!:)

I'd add very wide, flexible grounding straps between the main vehicle sheet metal frame and the trunk lid, as trunk lids are generally "floating" and really not connected to the rest of the car except perhaps coincidentally through the hinge mechanisms which are usually painted and provide virtually no electrical connection. The whole interface of lid to car is rubber, except for the hinge bars (maybe) and a lock (maybe). It's a disasterous place for an HF antenna, but with some work it can be improved.

7. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The person to talk to would be Pat WA6MHZ.
    His HF mobile works fine.
    [​IMG]

8. NY3V

NY3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! Bullett holes too!

He needs one of those "Mafia Staff Car" bumper stickers. :D

9. AK4BM

AK4BM Ham Member QRZ Page

The ATAS worked well when it was mounted on my work vehicle....an F250 extended cab. The antenna was mounted on the second door....a few weeks ago I work 12 countries in three hours, 50 watts.

I will pick up a new mount this weekend and get it running...

Thanks for the advice.

10. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

It's rather difficult to measure an antenna's efficiency or performance by a list of log book entries. About all it proves is the band conditions were favorable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.