Tuning the FT-101ZD.

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by 2E0LPL, Oct 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. 2E0LPL

2E0LPL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all...be interested in your views on the 101ZD tuning method in the youtube video in the link.

I have been using the manuals instruction up to now...but some say a method similar to how the guy in the link does it is better.

Like to hear your views.

2. KF4ZGZ

KF4ZGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing wrong with how he does it.
    Or how you do it.
    Or how others have suggested.
    He took a minute and a half .... I did it in half that much time. Experience is the difference.
    IMHO, It can be done it two steps, low ( around 10 or so watts ) then high ( however high you want or can legally go .... 50 watts for you?)
    Give yourself a few weeks doing it and you will see the alternatives the others mention make just as much sense as the manual and
    the way you see here.

K7TRF likes this.
  3. 2E0LPL

Hi Matt and thank you for looking for me.
    I am a total novice with tube rigs and want to get it right.

4. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

When tuning watch the PA current, when tuning on full power be as quick as possible or pause a few seconds during tuning to take care of the 'bottles' and it's components. you'll soon get the knack after a few tune ups.

5. 2E0LPL

Can you elaborate on watch the PA current.

6. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As posted above the basic procedure shown in the video is fine. The only nitpick is that he seems to be driving the rig to beyond its rated 225 mA of plate current. IOW, when dipping and loading the finals you only want to advance the Loading control till you see approximately 225 mA of plate current (what Yaesu calls IC) on the meter at deepest dip of the Plate knob. Hard to see the meter real well in the video but it appears he's loading a bit beyond that point.

Also he keeps going back and touching up the Preselector peaking. Once the drive level is peaked at the beginning of tune up just forget about it until you change to another frequency. There's no reason to keep touching up the Preselector as you dip and load the final stage.

Now that you've got your dummy load, just practice. You won't find the one perfect set of steps no matter how many QRZ threads you start on this same subject as there's many valid ways to tune up a tube rig and they all achieve the same result. Ask ten hams how to tune up a Yaesu hybrid and you'll likely get twenty answers so at this point just practice and develop your own workflow that is easy and repeatable.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Once you become very familiar with tuning up these hybrid rigs that really only have three variable tuning controls (these aren't a Viking or 32V3 or anything, they're really simple by comparison) you may found as I did they can actually be tuned up "on the fly" while calling someone on SSB.

I've done that thousands of times. Hear a station I want to work on a new band, peak the preselector for maximum signal strength (which also tunes the driver stage of the transmitter) and consider it tuned; then transmit and start talking, and watch a wattmeter while peaking the plate tune and load controls. By the end of one 5-second "call," it's tuned up. Perfectly? Nah. Good enough? Absolutely.:p

When such hybrid rigs (Yaesu and Kenwood, mostly) were in popular use for HF contesting, which would mostly be back in the 1970s, contest ops did this a hundred times a day while contesting. No time to go through a procedure -- making the contact is all that counts.

The tubes lasted decades, even doing it this way.

8. KF4ZGZ

KF4ZGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would expect the majority don’t even bother with the dip.
    The dip is also going to correspond to the highest power output.
    I think most just do everything while looking for peak power.
    I did. I would occasionally take a look to make sure bias and other things looked ok, but other wise peak and go.

9. 2E0LPL

Nice to build up an all-round picture...and thats the only decent video I have seen of tuning a 101ZD...so much easier to understand the process watching somebody else doing it rather than people trying to explain dont you think.

But you guys have confirmed for me the process in this vid is ok.

Odd why Yaesu say to do the final tune with the meter switch in PO.

Somebody did tell why its not a good idea...just escapes me why it was...but most 101zd owners don't seem to use the PO meter setting at all.

Glad you mention 225ma as a max figure...I didn't know that and I don't think Yaesu mention it in the manual.

If I start out and only tune to 100ma would that be a problem...I'm thinking of it as a way to keep the max power down...as over here in the UK as somebody mentioned I am restricted to 50w.

10. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

And as was pointed out to you on your other thread that wont work on SSB, CW is ok but for SSB you need a negative voltage applied to ALC to control it.

K7TRF likes this.