ad: UR5CDX-1

For Sale TUNER TAMER - New accessory to simplify using a manual tuner with most Icom transceivers

Discussion in 'Ham Made Gear' started by WB8LLN, May 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WB8LLN

WB8LLN Ham Member QRZ Page

If you use...
    • An Icom transceiver (706,746,756,PRO,7000,7100,7200,7300,7600 etc
    • A manual antenna tuner (Even if only part of the time)
    You need...

TUNER TAMER
    • Simplify using a manual tuner with most popular Icom transceivers
    • Plugs into Icom 78, 706, 718, 746/756 (& PRO), 7000, 7100, 7200, 7300, 7410, 7600, 9100
    • Use an external tuner or your rigs internal auto tuner with no connection changes
    • Activate the radios built-in 10 watt carrier tune feature regardless of mode or power output setting by simply pressing the RED push on / push off button
    • You control the transmitter not a preset time period like other units. Keeps hands free for quick tuner adjustments
    • Bright LED indicates transmitting in the 10 watt output tune mode
    • Attractive extruded aluminum case and shielded cable eliminate RF issues
    • Four soft rubber feet prevent marring desktop and help to keep it in place
    • Long 36 inch cable allows for any convenient location near your rig
    • Quality construction backed by a 1 year warranty against defects in parts and workmanship
    • Ham made in the USA by WB8LLN
    Price is $35 shipped to USA
    Preferred payment via PayPal (Goods or Services) to: TunerTamer@comcast.net
    Checks or Money Orders accepted. Mail to QRZ address. Shipment made after payment clears.

For additional information send email to
    TunerTamer@comcast.net

TTFrontPanelFinal.jpg TTRearPanelFinalQRZ.jpg TTPCBQRZ.jpg IC-7300RearPanelConnectionLabeled.jpg TunerTamerLogo.jpg

2. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Okay. What exactly does this this thing do?

W7UUU likes this.
  3. WB8LLN

Tuner Tamer is connected to one of the listed Icom transceivers on the rear panel. When the front panel button is pressed the rig generates a 10 watt carrier regardless of the power output or mode setting of the radio. This carrier allows for tune-up with your manual antenna tuner at a power level safe for the final stage while generating low QRM. A second press of the push button returns the radio to the settings in place prior to activating the Tuner Tamer. With the Tuner Tamer in the off position, the transceiver operates as if the TT was not even connected, thus allowing an internal auto tuner in the rig to be used without any connection changes. It's very convenient when some of the antennas used have a low enough SWR to be tuned with the radios internal auto tuner and other antennas with higher SWR levels require an external manual tuner for proper matching.

WR2E, KA0HCP and W7UUU like this.
  4. WD8EEQ

WD8EEQ Ham Member QRZ Page

*******************************************************************************
    I purchased one. Nice American Made HF Radio accessory at a fair price...!
    With the push of one button, it puts my Icom Pro-3 into low power TX mode with a steady carrier, allowing me all the time I need to manually adjust my external tuner to a flat SWR before turning on my amp. Then pushing the button again puts my radio back into the previous mode and power setting ready to drive my amp. It stays plugged into the back of my rig, and looks good sitting next to, underneath or on top of it. I'm very pleased with it and recommend it to anyone using an external antenna tuner that offers more antenna matching range than a built in tuner as most external tuner do. Satisfied Customer! Chris-WD8EEQ

5. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

on my 7300 and 7610, when i push the 'tune' button, it activates my external tuner and tunes with low power. What does this device do differently?

6. WB8LLN

You didn't say but I'm assuming that your using an auto-tune external tuner. That is the way that the TUNER button on an Icom radio works
    when a compatible auto-tuner is connected to the tuner jack on the rear of the radio. Without an automatic tuner connected, pressing and holding the TUNER button for a second or so actives the auto-tuner internal to the radio. When using a manual remote tuner, Tuner Tamer activates the radios built-in 10 watt carrier to allow for quick and easy adjustment of the tuner. Once the tuning process is complete, the rig is returned to normal operation. In summary, the Tuner Tamer is designed to simplify the tune-up process when using a manual external antenna tuner.

7. N7JS

N7JS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It seems this will be a very useful device for initially tuning a loop antenna (MLA) for final resonance (requiring low power) by using the front button on the device.

8. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems like it would be a nice gadget if you don't know how to do the adjusting yourself. Of course, you could learn how to use your equipment and save some money...

9. N7JS

N7JS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent quality product that was shipped quickly and securely. Does exactly what I need.

10. WB8LLN

Thanks for posting the complimentary words Jim!
    I'm glad that the Tuner Tamer met your expectations.
    73.... Bob - WB8LLN